Best place to mount my transducer?

sammith

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I bought my first boat this year (1986 Bayliner Capri 1800 with a 1979 V150 Mercury) and the depth finder that's currently installed doesn't work at all. Instead of fiddling around with it, I decided to get a Fishfinder (Garmin Striker 4). I've done quite a bit of research on installing the transducer, but to be honest, doing all this research has got my more confused than when I read the manual.

As per the manual, since my propeller is going clockwise, I should be installing the transducer to the Right side (as seen from the rear), and as close to the bottom of the boat as possible while keeping the transducer at least 15" away from the propeller. Seeing as my outboard is pretty big, it seems like I have quite a bit of freedom as to where to install it (see photo). I realize that in the picture, the outboard isn't fully trimmed down, but it gives a general idea.

On one of the pictures, I've identified 3 places I'm considering installing the transducer. A would be my first pick since it's closer to the bottom of the boat and on a flat part, but the hull's "step" is behind that area, so I don't know if/how that would affect the transducer (on a side note, I read online that installing the transducer on the stepped part (where the drain plug is) can be a great place for the transducer, but I don't see how that would work when comes the time to getting the boat back on the trailer...). Area B seems to be another good spot (flat area, but away from the "step"), and it seems like something might have already been installed there in the past (or maybe those screws are for something inside the boat, I haven't gotten around to checking that yet). I'd have to see if I can work around those screws if I were to install there. Area C is another possibility. It's the exact spot the other transducer is installed on, but on the right side of the transom. Only thing I'm not sure about this one is that I've read that some areas where the hull is angled can be good while others are to be avoided, and I didn't really understand the difference, so I'm hoping for some insight.

Anyone have some ideas that could help me?

Oh and one more question. I could some Marine Grade sealant for the holes, but I'm not sure I understand. The sealant cures in 24 hours, but the manual says that I might need to loosen the screws to adjust the height of the transducer if it doesn't read right. Am I supposed to do this BEFORE or AFTER the sealant cures? It feels like I shouldn't be really putting the boat in the water until it cures, but it also feels like if I loosen the screws after the silicone cures, then I might be damaging the watertight seal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo274709.jpg
    photo274709.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo274710.jpg
    photo274710.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo274711.jpg
    photo274711.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo274712.jpg
    photo274712.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In the pics your only option is "C" or the current position.

​Just put it right back were the current one is.

sammith

Cadet
In the pics your only option is "C" or the current position.

​Just put it right back were the current one is.

Thanks for the help! Can you explain why C is the only option?

Edit: If I try to mirror the positioning of the transducer on the left side, I feel it would be a bit close to the lifting strake. I seem to remember reading that it should be 2" away from that. Is that right?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can't put it on the stepped portion of the transom, those locations are out of the water when on plane.

​It was probably fine in that location, the lower side of the strake is normally OK, but you could move it over an inch or so if you want.

Last edited:

sammith

Cadet
You can't put it on the stepped portion of the transom, those locations are out of the water when on plane.

​It was probably fine in that location, the lower side of the strake is normally OK, but you could move it over an inch or so if want.

Thanks! Last question: What's your opinion on installing inside the hull (see link)? I just found out about this and it seems that it can be done with a normal transom-mount transducer. I'd be curious to give it a try.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It depends on how you want to use it, you may lose some sensitivity mounting inside, so for fishing it may not work as well, if all you want to know is how deep it is it should be fine.

sammith

Cadet
It depends on how you want to use it, you may lose some sensitivity mounting inside, so for fishing it may not work as well, if all you want to know is how deep it is it should be fine.

That's pretty much what I'm going for. I bought it mainly to replace the faulty depth sounder (since from my research a new depth sounder would have cost almost as much as a fishfinder), so it's mainly for depth and GPS with the occasional use for fishing. I'm not too worried about 100% accuracy, so I might give that a try first and see what happens. Thanks again for your help!