ship to shore radio

995jim

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a few questions about ship to shoe radios, could someone explain what distance constitutes short range and vise versa for long range and why wouldn't you just use long range all the time . what happens if your 100 ft from someone and on long range. my marine radio receives but does not send so I am assuming the mic is bad .Is there a unit I should stay away from? The one I have now is 30 yrs old so I'm sure there are some upgrades that are available however I want to stick with the basics for features.
​thanks jim

alldodge

Staff member
The main reason for low and high power is in congested areas. If your in an areas along big cites on the coast or great lakes running high power will bleed over on other channels with near by radios. Also if your on low power and someone else is a few miles away could also talk on low power and you would not interfere with each other. If your on small lakes in most cases it doesn't matter because there is not that much transmitting.

I would get a radio from any of the big manufactures (Shakespeare, Icom, Uniden, Standard, and some others) only ones I would stay away from is Midland and Cobra

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't assume that your mic is the problem unless someone tells you they can receive a dead carrier (a signal with no audio) when you transmit but hear no audio. You can have a bad antenna or the final may be blown. Regardless it's a 30 year old radio and time to retire it. You may want to replace your antenna if it's just as old. I agree with alldodge regarding manufactures.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i like my standard horizon GX1700. about $240 but has extra features many in that range don't

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't have any ship to shore radio (actually don't need one), but I do remember the CB days when Midland and Cobra CB radios were big names during that era. I guess they let their quality slip to not be big names in ship to shore setups. :noidea:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't have any ship to shore radio (actually don't need one), but I do remember the CB days when Midland and Cobra CB radios were big names during that era. I guess they let their quality slip to not be big names in ship to shore setups. :noidea:
They're quality didn't go down, they couldn't compete with the quality or technology when long time Japanese commercial radio gaints Icom and Uniden got into the US recreational radio market.

Last edited: