Key switch and trim/tilt will not work

CaptSnook70

Recruit
Went to the boat lift to start my 2015 115 hp Mercury four stroke and nothing happened. I noticed that the gfi plug on the dock had tripped and that my battery tender was off. Battery was low so I charged it over night.
​Here's what I found
​Battery reads 13.5 Volts, all terminals are clean, specific gravity in 3 cells read fair and 3 cells read good and inline circuit breaker was not tripped
​No starting when turning key, no trim/tilt power
​Kill switch is plugged in to the run position
​Trying to find a solution on other posts and ran across one from August 7, with similar problem. One post said to check in line fuse in engine compartment and key switch, but the answer was confusing. It said "you found the trouble, No Key Sw." Was it the Fuse?

Any help will be appreciated or guide me in the correct path to fix

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Does the battery stay at 13.5V when the key is turned ON?
Does the battery voltage drop when trim is pushed?

CaptSnook70

Recruit
Yes, there is no movement. I am waiting for a battery load tester that should arrive Wednesday. It feels like nothing is getting to the switch and the trim/tilt will not work on the controls or the side of the engine.

alldodge

Staff member
If nothing changes when anything is pressed then nothing is getting voltage. If the voltage dropped then things are getting voltage but its pulling down to far. The trim pump should have a 20 amp fuse near the pump. Sounds like a breaker or inline fuse is blown

CaptSnook70

Recruit
Thanks AllDodge, I found a blown fuse under the dash going to the key switch. Many thanks for your time and $$$ saved. :)