Motorguide trolling motor on 95 ranger 392v has no power speeds of about 1/2 mph HELP

Jaykarrels

Cadet
So my recently purchased trolling motor, which is a Motorguide 921310180, 19.1 KG and .49 KW DC 24 and it has no power. When trying to troll, on the fastest setting it goes about 1/2 an hour, if that. I am having trouble doing any trolling fishing at that speed (obviously).

My question is if that is how they are supposed to be or if I have a problem with something? I don't want to start rebuilding that trolling motor if its just not powerful enough. Do these trolling motors have the power needed to fish that way, or are these strictly for maneuvering in tight areas?

I did replace two batteries recently. Do all the batteries have to be the same group for it to work correctly? Anyone have any advice on where to start? I took the motor apart already and didn't see anything that stood out.

Any help would be great, thank you!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You said at the fastest setting it goes about "1/2 an hour!" Does that mean it runs for only 1/2 hour and quits, or do you mean 1/2 mile per hour as in speed? However, you have a 24 volt motor which requires two 12 volt batteries wired in SERIES. Series means the positive of one battery connects to the negative of the other. The two wires from the trolling motor then connect to the empty positive on the one battery and the negative of the other. Both batteries do not have to be identical in group size or age but it is certainly ideal if they are. The smaller/older battery cannot perform the same as the bigger/newer one so it becomes a limiting factor. Speed should not be affected but run time will be affected.