Mercury Stator

TWC

Recruit
Hello and Thanks, I have a 1988 Mercury 70hp, serial number 0B288198, it shows part numbers for 9 amp stator and a 16 amp stator. I'm not sure which one I have. Mercury site shows the 9 amp part number as 398-8778A10 and the 16 amp as 398-9710A12. The number on the stator that is currently on it is 398-832075-A11, which I cannot seem to find anywhere except a used one on ebay. It is a four wire RED stator. I'm thinking this must have been added later but before I got it. I have had it for about 8 years with no problems until now. Maybe someone can please tell me which one I need, is mine a 9 amp or a 16 amp. It does have glued on magnets if that helps. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well :welcome: aboard TWC. Nice to have you join us...

First, what is your stator doing or not doing? If it has stop charging your battery, have you tested the stator to see if it is opened or shorted? I would verify the stator is bad first. And you can do that with a multi-meter testing both resistance of the coils themselves and ground and output AC voltages. JMHO

TWC

Recruit
Well :welcome: aboard TWC. Nice to have you join us...

First, what is your stator doing or not doing? If it has stop charging your battery, have you tested the stator to see if it is opened or shorted? I would verify the stator is bad first. And you can do that with a multi-meter testing both resistance of the coils themselves and ground and output AC voltages. JMHO

Thank you for the welcome and inquiry. I have a good marine mechanic and he tested everything and it came back as having a bad stator. It has no fire from any of the plugs. It is a 3 cylinder.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for the welcome and inquiry. I have a good marine mechanic and he tested everything and it came back as having a bad stator. It has no fire from any of the plugs. It is a 3 cylinder.

I understand your position. But are you absolutely sure your stator is the cause? I mean a stator, unless also part of the ignition system, usually only is there to charge the starting battery. I am not familiar with your electrical setup and easily could be wrong, but there are lots of other electrical parts for you ignition system that could easily be the culprit. I would see if you could get a second person to look over your problem and offer their opinion. JMHO

While I am thinking about it, do you own a manufacturer's engine specific shop manual for your engine? If not, I would certainly spend the money to buy one and read the theory of operation about your ignition system. It will offer everything you need to know and understand about your engine with lots of exploded views and testing procedures. And it has to be the manufacturer's shop manual and not an after market version. A must have for owning any OB engine. Again JMHO

TWC

Recruit
Absolutely positive it's the stator. I have a marine mechanic who checked out every component on it. He has been doing it for about many many years. He is the main mechanic at the marina. It's just confusing that it has the wrong parts number on it. I called Mercury Marine direct and they said the one on it is a 9 amp, but they think it should be the 16 amp. I was on the phone with them for about an hour. They did tell me that if it does have a voltage regulator, It would be a 16 am. So now I gotta look at the engine and check to see if it has a voltage regulator

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely positive it's the stator. I have a marine mechanic who checked out every component on it. He has been doing it for about many many years. He is the main mechanic at the marina. It's just confusing that it has the wrong parts number on it. I called Mercury Marine direct and they said the one on it is a 9 amp, but they think it should be the 16 amp. I was on the phone with them for about an hour. They did tell me that if it does have a voltage regulator, It would be a 16 am. So now I gotta look at the engine and check to see if it has a voltage regulator

Okay, the voltage regular could be built into the rectifier. So look at the part number for it and see if it is both.