05yamaha rectifier

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Would it be ok to run my 05 Yamaha if the regulator/rect is bad until I get one in thank you for your help

sam am I

Commander
That could depend on the failure mode, for example if its a shorted input, that could tend to heat up stator winding's.How much is too much? IDK. If it went into a un-reg'd output failure situation, this could allow excessive output voltages and perhaps sensitive (maybe even engine ECM) items down stream might complain by $ending $moke $ignals........

Given more then a few unknowns here, I'd be inclined to just take the dead duck totally out of circuit by disconnecting it's input from the stator and its output (typically batt. term start solenoid), then just temporarily run very light on the controllable loads (lights, radio, fans, disco ball, etc) running off the batt.....Would work with my motor anyway.

Your motor (I don't know yami's all that well) may draw a batt down faster then my old 1992 175HP carb'd motor, this being dependent on the various uncontrolled engine loads i.e., EFI's stuff, ECM, lectric fuel pump, etc......I suppose once out of circuit and running I'd be watching your dash volt meter as you ran, should stay 12V'ish for a good long run if its not drawing too much.

Last edited:

tblshur

Sam I am thanks for your answer, and explanation I was not sure if it would be OK to unplug the stator thanks for conforming that.also if the stator is 3 phase what should be the phase to phase voltage be . sorry for my slow reply I'm at camper and wi fi is limited. Thanks again for your help.

sam am I

Commander
Good question, depends.......Un-loaded/open circuit or loaded?

Sky is the limit unloaded,......Wild guess here. Could be 100VAC @ say 2K/3K RPM.

Loaded though (few'ish amps, head light bulb, 55/60W @12V) I'd say somewhere's in the near 12VAC @ 1K RPM and perhaps around 30VAC @ 2K/3K RPM.

Last edited:

tblshur

Sam I am I sure thank you for your help i may be able to troubleshoot my charging circuit now thanks again and have a great day