Wiring Rule 20RR Replacement Livewell Pump

Kruegs35

Seaman
Trying to replace the pump cartridge on my Rule 700gph livewell pump. Seems pretty straight forward, just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm getting 12v from the brown and black wire from the switch. I did a quick touch of the matching wires on the pump to make sure it would run. I know not to run the pump dry for long, just wanted a quick connection to see the impeller move. The pump did nothing. Is there some safety on the pump that prevents it from running dry or did I get a bad pump?

alldodge

Staff member
The rule bilge pumps can run dry without damage to the pump, The vanes do not have direct contact, so no issue.
Since the pump did not run, check to see if you have power coming from the switch

alldodge

Staff member
I have power where the pump connects.

So you have power at the bare leads and the pump still will not run?
If this is the case and the pump is new, then does it have a float inside the pump?
How many wires come from the pump?

Kruegs35

Seaman
I do not believe there is float. There are only two wires, brown and black. I thought about submerging the bottom in a cup of water. Seems like a simple plug and play install. Hate to have to return the pump since I ordered it online, PITA.

alldodge

Staff member
Seriously doubt a new pump is bad. The brown to + and black to -.
Even if the wires were swapped it would just run backwards. Make sure your getting a full 12V

Connect the two wires direct to the battery

Kruegs35

Seaman
Stopped raining long enough for me to connect the pump direct to the battery. Pump works. Maybe there is not enough current. I will have to measure it. Could need to run some new wires.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You originally said you "did a quick touch" to see if the pump worked. That's not sufficient. Connect the wires and see if it works. If not, THEN look at bad wiring.