Dead Man Fuse

emarshbuck

Seaman
Boat will not start. I've attached a picture of what might be a fuse for the dead man pull chain. The "fuse" is wired to a harness that is plugged in and looks like it has wiring into the ignition switch.

Attachments

• photo273098.JPG
    photo273098.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 0

emarshbuck

Seaman
can I just splice another one in? Will this in any way keep the engine from starting?

sam am I

Commander
Good question........I could be wrong however about it being a buzzer, sure looks like one........Such tiny wires and quite odd to be any type of kill/safety switch I've ever seen.

So questions for you..........How in the past did you use this thing? Did you in fact use it as a "dead man switch" when it worked? How? Did you have to pull it? Step on it? Log into to it with an app?........J/K. What motor? What boat?

Where did it come from? Were you even aware it existed until the boat quit and you dug it out from under the dash? Have you ever heard your boat beeping in the past? Recalling back, did the boat just stop beeping one day?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Boat will not start.

Ayuh,..... Has this boat got a motor,..?? Which motor,..??

Do ya have a test light,..?? is there power at the key switch,..??

emarshbuck

Seaman
LOL, all good questions! 2004 12' Boss Pilot boat, 25HP Tohatsu. I have a multimeter. I'll pull out the key switch and test for voltage....I've never heard the boat beeping. I did test the kill switch and it stopped the motor. I noticed a few days ago that the harness it's plugged into has wiring going to the ignition switch. My neighbor who had boats for years up on lake Erie thinks it might be designed to alert low oil pressure, or engine overheating. This boat is a very simple design. Several wires broke during a recent storm and I'm still trying to figure out what goes where. There is also a 25amp fuse holder that I'm still trying to place.

thx

emarshbuck

Seaman
This is a buzzer for engine over heating. any idea where I can find a replacement? The one that fell apart is 1 1/8", has wording on the back "Nikko EBL." I bought one online that is way smaller, 1/2". I touched it to a +/- wire and it doesn't make any noise.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Before buying an overheat alarm, make sure your motor actually has a temp sensor on the head.

Most smaller motors do not.