4 wire 24 V Trolling Motor on a 1994 Ranger

RipN2it

Recruit
I inherited a 1994 Ranger from my Brother, I know he was using it. But... He was an electrician, I am not. There are 3 batteries in the rear, a single 12V battery (starboard) and 2x12V wired in series for 24V. To winterize the boat, he disconnected all the positive wires. I have the engine and other 12V system running, there was only 1 positive on that side and it could only reach the single 12V battery. Its the other side that is killing me. The rear left/port side has a circuit breaker with 4 wires coming out. One each Black, White, Red, Orange. The black one is connected to the negative side of the 2 battery arrangement, the other 3 are loose. Where do these 3 wires go?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There should be two circuit breakers (one for the positive terminal of each trolling motor battery). The wiring scheme is such that each battery has a pair of wires that run to the four terminal receptacle at the bow. The red and orange wires are the POSITIVE wires and the black and white are the negatives. Your task is to determine which of the black and white wires belong with the red and orange wires. These need to be paired correctly. There should be no "jumper" at the batteries to create the 24 volt series connection. That's done up front at the connector.

RipN2it

Recruit
Since my brother had installed a jumper between the 2 batteries, is it possible that he created straight 24V system?

Also, recommendations of identifying which pair is which? I am thinking that I could check resistance between the 2 pairs, but I'm not sure what I would be looking for? Motor winding resistance or is there some kind of switch in the path that needs to be closed?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You look at the back of the receptacle for markings such as A+, A-, B+, and B-. Note the wire colors. A pair goes to ine battery and B pair goes to the other. If a jumper was added at the batteries, only two wires would be needed and only two terminals used in the receptacle. The second pair of wires would not be used. Only you can sort that out.