79 mercruiser trim killing engine

Gtroths

Cadet
When I go to put the trim down it gets close to being all the way down then kills the engine. Can't start it back up unless I move the trim up a little bit but it doesn't kill it when I'm hitting the switch just when it gets close to full down need help asap haven't been able to enjoy this boat this whole season keep running into problems

alldodge

Staff member
Need to adjust the shift interrupter would be my first guess. Disconnect the shift interrupter switch and see if it still dies when you bring it all the way down

Gtroths

Cadet
Why would the shift interrupter be doing it tho? I can be moving in forward gear and moving the trim down it just dies after a certain point? I'll try it I'm up for anything just wondering what you were thinking

alldodge

Staff member
While the cables should not move the switch when trimming, I'm thinking it is moving somehow. By disconnecting the switch it will take it out of the equation

Gtroths

Cadet
Okay I'll give it a shot today or tomorrow should I take it off while the boat is already running? Or just do it while trimming while the engine is off. What should I look at next if it isn't the interrupter?

alldodge

Staff member
Okay I'll give it a shot today or tomorrow should I take it off while the boat is already running? Or just do it while trimming while the engine is off. What should I look at next if it isn't the interrupter?

Doesn't matter when (motor ON or OFF) to remove the wire off the switch. You could have if running and trim to make sure it still does it, then disconnect the wire, restart and trim again

Gtroths

Cadet
Alright I'll give it a try tomorrow thanks for the info I'll come back with a report