Engine will not start. No gauge movement!

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2003 Regal Comodore 2860 wuth twin mercruisers. The starboard engine will not start. When I turn the key, nothing happens. No gauge movement, nothing. The port side engine works fine.
1-I checked the starting switch (is fine/I switched it with the port side)
2-I have 12 volts at the main /red cable that feeds the starter switch. But wen I turn the switch, it drops to 1 v (1 v at the red/main feed and 1 volt on the purple cable that feeds the gauges)
I checked the red fuse breaker in the engine..its fine.
Please help.
Tks!

alldodge

Staff member
While this is an electrical issue, do think this should be in the Merc section

12 volts at the main /red cable that feeds the starter switch. But wen I turn the switch, it drops to 1 v (1 v at the red/main feed and 1 volt on the purple cable that feeds the gauges)

Initial thought is there is a ground issue or your 20 amp fuse is blown.

Wiring Helm.jpg

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the 90A fuse on the starter is blown. Do you actually have battery voltage at the input to the breaker on top of the engine ?

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the advice. I will check again later this afternoon

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found the culprit! The 90A fuse is lose. I left the key on the ignition/On position and went under the engines. It was hard to reach (twin engines) but as soon as I touched the fuse cable, the alarm beeped and I was able to go and start the port engine.
I will go tomorrow after work to tighten it.
Pls let me know what kind of bolt/ nut. I didn't have time to check...and the space is really tight down there.
Again..Any advice on how to tighten the 90A fuse woukd make it easier.
THANKS!!

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty sure it's a 9/16" wrench, but you'll have to get down there to get the insulator boot off the nut anyway. They definitely don't make it easy.