Boat Wiring Diagram?

emarshbuck

Seaman
Can anyone tell me if there is a source of wiring diagrams for older boats whose manufacturer is no longer in business? I have a 2004 Boss Pilot Sport. I need help figuring out some wiring issues.

​thank you...

alldodge

Staff member
There is next to none which have wiring diagrams, most use the motor manufacture as the basis for the engine wiring. The boat it self uses the basics which would be something like this

Gen Wiring Diagram.jpg

Now if you want the motor and gauge wiring, we would need to know which motor

emarshbuck

Seaman
It's a 2004 Tohatsu 25hp, model MFS25A. The problem started when some wiring broke, causing the bilge pump to stop working. I've fixed that wiring, but now the motor won't turn over and the aftermarket PPT doesn't operate. The red power wire became detached from the wiring harness that attaches to the radio. Is it possible that the radio is part of the overall wiring that also controls the ignition? thx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
NO! You are dealing with three separate situations. 1) engine wiring is covered in the "service manual" (not the operators manual) for your engine. 2) The after market PTT unit will have its own wiring diagram, and 3) the boat itself has its own wiring which is covered at least in part by the above diagram. Gauges (if you have any) are powered by the "I" terminal on the ignition switch.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
The radio might be wired through the ignition. Especially if a previous owner monkeyed with it. If it is wired this way and for example the switch is bad (or any other reason for losing the ignition power) , the motor would fail to crank and the radio wouldn't work.

None of which has anything to do with the bilge pump. Or at least it shouldn't.

emarshbuck

Seaman
I figured out the bilge pump and the garmin....I found the install instructions for the aftermarket PTT so I can figure that one....I'm calling my local Tohatsu dealer for info on the motor wiring....stay tuned ! thx everyone!

emarshbuck

Seaman
I found the reason for the aftermarket PTT not working. The red power wire came loose from the harness which is controlled by the ignition switch. I'm trying to figure out how to repair this wire. Seems I can't get the old snap connector out of the harness. any ideas as to how to get the connector out, or how to put the wire back in the old snap connector? Maybe a smaller gauge snap connector?

Also, would the motor fail to crank if the PTT is in the up position? Is there a disconnect built into the motor/ignition switch to prevent the motor from starting if it's not in the water, or at least down from full up?

thx

cadet ed

emarshbuck

Seaman
OK, I'm almost back in business....one last question (maybe :joyous:)...There was a 25amp fuse somewhere in all this wiring. The waterproof crimpable fuse holder also came lose from both ends. With what circuit do you think that was inline?

thanks again....

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know anything that would use a 25 amp fuse off the top, what color is the wire?

emarshbuck

Seaman
I don't know...the wire broke off at both ends.....I don't see a need for it in the WM4000 west marine radio....maybe for the bilge pump in case it gets clogged so it doesn't overheat?

82rude

Rear Admiral
My boat had a dogs breakfast for wiring.Solution totally rip out all the wiring and redo properly.I have half the junk now and all works as it should.Might be worth a look at doing the same, i hate other peoples messes.I believe a 6 year old did the wiring on a bad day,lol.

bheff

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat had a dogs breakfast for wiring.Solution totally rip out all the wiring and redo properly.I have half the junk now and all works as it should.Might be worth a look at doing the same, i hate other peoples messes.I believe a 6 year old did the wiring on a bad day,lol.

Lol, same guy must have wired my boat. After my nav lights come in (Monday) my electrical will be finished. ALL my gauges now work, the boat actually starts, the switches turn things off and on and it's all neatly installed and labeled. Oh yeah, each circuit is protected! Apparently the last owner didn't care about fuses or breakers lol.