1 click from starter solenoid

Dingledorf

Recruit
1984 evinrude 3cyl 70hp

Replaced old solenoid because it was stuck closed. Ever since I installed the new one it only clicks once with key... I've replaced several times thinking I kept getting bad solenoids.

I've checked cables and ends. Corrosion. Replaced what I thought might be damaged wires. Checked neutral switch and key switch. Used volt meter and checked battery, power at solenoid. Everything seems fine other then no power coming out to the starter. I did use another starter off another outboard to see if maybe my starter was bad (too much resistance) and yet again nothing but a click. I can jump the solenoid and starter engages.

Please help!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

you have a bad connection.

the fact that you put a good starter on the motor and you still get a click is the final confirmation that somewhere you have a really really bad connection, or multiple bad connections

clean every connection from the battery to the motor and back. remove the starter and clean the pads where the starter connects to the block. a wire brush on an electric drill would be my first suggestion

if any of the cables show green, replace them.

all the connections need to be shiny enough for you to eat off them, then seal with marine electrical varnish when you are done.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Since jumping the solenoid works, is the solenoid the correct one and is it wired correctly?

What are you doing to jump the solenoid?

sam am I

Commander
I'm curious, and with all the above considerations, could you have a helper turn the key and hold it in the start position (where the "one click" happens) and if you can at the same time, use your voltage meter with the negative lead to the engine block for ground, then measure both in turn, larger solenoid studs (the battery side, then the starter side) with the positive meter lead.

If you have 12V on both studs, and while helper is still hold key in start position, next, measure the stud at the starter......

For reference, click here

Last edited:

Dingledorf

Recruit
I do have a 4 post 12v solenoid. Same one as that came off originally. I get about 12.6 at batter side stud and nothing at starter post even when key is held down with helper. I get around the 12 volts at the ignition stud. I have ignition wire (yellow/red striped) at the "I" post and ground at the "s" post. I can use a cable to jump both big post together. Nothing happens when I jump to the ignition post. Not even the click.

Bondo

Staff member
I get around the 12 volts at the ignition stud. I have ignition wire (yellow/red striped) at the "I" post and ground at the "s" post.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Switch the yellow/ red wire to the "S"tart terminal, 'n put nothin' on the "I"gnition terminal,....

It appears yer confusin' the "Start" circuit, with the "Ignition" circuit,....

sam am I

Commander
I get about 12.6 at batter side stud and nothing at starter post even when key is held down with helper.

When you measured these above values on the starter's solenoid studs, did you hear/confirm the solenoid clicked at the moment when your helper turn the key into the "start" position?

Dingledorf

Recruit
I feel like a dumbass... the clicking is coming from choke solenoid...

I get .06 volts at ignition wire to solenoid then when key held on 12.46v

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Well if it clicks and you have 12V on the battery side BIG stud and nothing of the starter side BIG stud, that implies the solenoid is bad............Hmmmm, what happens if you jump across the both the big studs with a screw drive? Also curious about the type of solenoid you have..........See below and note the difference in how each are energized w and w/o internal ground and one (slave type) is claimed for 4 stroke only.

Edit.........I was posting when you changed/edited your answer above. See below regardless

Flash2.jpg

Appears you have the wrong solenoid if it has an "i" and "s" on it.......Looks as if you should have the top type, not the slave type with the "i" and "s" markings. Might want to double check as yours simply should have a small stud to ground and a small stud going to the "s" position of the Ig. sw.

Flash3.jpg

http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manu...inrude.html#/0

Attachments

• Flash2.jpg
    Flash2.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: