Helix 7 Side imaging transducer location

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys. I picked up a helix 7 si gps chirp g2 unit, first time I have owned or installed a si unit. I googled for 3 days waiting for it to come in. Cables routed correctly. And then I mounted the si transducer just below the step on my transom and went and tested it. It looked amazing. Under 3mph. Anything over that and the depth and speed jumped around everywhere. So I moved the transducer even with the bottom of the hull instead of where the transom step was...... I just need some help guy. Fill me in the dos and donts. The link has images of the previous instal and my current install.

I know I can get a thru hull transducer and a y cable, but I don't want to do that. I should at least be able to get 10mph and correct depth and speed right?

The transom buckle will move out of the way. I don't think it will touch when loading anyways. The boat should be floating higher than that when I loss it right?

http://imgur.com/a/7Coxm

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
In the first two pictures (side-ish view), it does look to me like the transducer is/was mounted a little bit too high. I'm assuming pix 3 and 4 are after it got moved down a little...but do you have any pix from a side angle showing the re-install?

(Can't tell what pic 5 is supposed to show)

Also, you don't specifically say in your post, have you tested after the re-install?

Alumarine

Captain
Try moving it deeper.

There should not be a relationship between the transducer and the speed.
Do you use just the internal GPS receiver? If so, is something blocking it?

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pic 5 was the location prior to moving the transducer (It was just under the jackplate mounted on the step. The rest of the pictures are all the same location, that is where I moved it to. I haven't had the chance to test it, but this weekend I will. I believe it is going to do what I want it to. My old lowrance 2d gps unit has a in hull transducer, if I can't get this lined out to detect speed and depth how I want it to..... I may go the route of having two units on my console, one for GPS speed and Depth, and then my SI and DI on my helix..... not the exact route I want to take... but it's free where as a Y cable and another transducer costs money....

As for the speed, I could be completely mistaken..... It may have been showing speed (infact I think it was) it was just the Depth it wasn't showing correctly..

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Ah, OK now I see what pic 5 is showing, the "footprint" of where the transducer was before. I can see why it wasn't working well in that spot. I'm amazed the side imaging worked at all with the transducer there, even at <3mph.

You are definitely on the right track here, much better location. Though you may find that you still need to scoot the transducer down just a tad to get good solid readings at planing speed...but then again, maybe not!

Let us know how your next test goes.

Last edited:

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, I did a lot of research on it, and a few people had mounted it where I had it previously..... no idea how it worked for them.... or if it ever did. I know for my it was pretty useless (unless I was using the trolling motor, and had someone sitting at the console. I took a piece of board and taped it to the hull, and mounted the transducer even with the board, but it can be scooted down a 1/4" if need be. As long as I can get decent readings (over 10MPH) would be great, but 40 or so (DEPTH, not SI) would be awesome. Maybe the wife will let me run off to the lake this afternoon and I'll post my results. I appreciate the input, as I said, I've never had SI before so this is a whole new ball game to me.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Happy to report, that it worked absolutely flawlessly. And side imaging is amazing. Couldn't believe the cool things I saw and had no clue they were even there. Even caught some fish today.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Great.
I was amazed at the SI views, wish I had bought SI, But budget and fishing style didn't justify it.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
My fishing doesn't really justify it either....but I needed to update my old lowrance lms units. And got a steal on the unit off eBay.