VHF radio interference

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I never had any interference until I upgraded my trolling motor. Went from a 12v Minn Kota Powerdrive to a 24v Minn Kota Ulterra and now getting major interference on the VHF. I need to max out the squelch. Any ideas how to fix this?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are you running the VHF from one of the 12V batteries running the trolling motor?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't run it from there anymore. You have a battery that starts your gasoline engine that you can use instead?

Problem is that your trolling motor likely uses a PWM controller to adjust the speed and it's frequency affects your VHF radio.

As a test, switch to a battery that is not connected to the VHF radio to see if you still have an issue. If that solves it, the only way you could go back to the trolling motor batteries is to buy a power filter to go between the battery and your radio. If you still get noise, its a radiated issue which will be way more difficult to solve.

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds good. I'll try my starting battery instead.

Any drawbacks to using a power filter? Will I lose range or something?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just have to find a power filter that will actually filter out the frequencies that you are dealing with. I haven't looked so you may find something that will work just fine.

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK...I switched to a different power source from the trolling motor. Still getting some interference but not nearly as bad.
All my batteries are connected by ground wire. Should I try to disconnect the grounds and try?