Question on electrical panel

MJETX

Recruit
Hello, I recently purchased a 96 Ebbtide Fish n Ski and I have a simple question.

There are two battery spots, only one is installed at the moment and I want to add a second battery, not for use of the trolling motor but just for redundancy and as a backup to my primary starting battery.

There is an electrical panel in the bow for the trolling system. One of the switches is a 3-way toggle. It is labeled as follows:

Charge 2 -12v. I assume in this position it is charging both batteries.

12v. I assume in this position only the primary starting battery is active.

Run 12/24v I assume in this position both batteries are active.

Also there are two pairs of wires running back to the second battery tray. One positive is labeled trolling battery one positive and the other red wire is labeled trolling battery two negative. How do I wire these in?

Thanks

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Do you have a battery mounted back near the motor? That would be your starting battery.

The two battery locations up front are for the trolling motor and the charge position on the switch are for a charger, not charging by the motor. The trolling motor batteries are not electrically connected to the motor charging system.

Guessing without seeing you boat;

Charge is charging with a charger.
12V is to supply 12V to the trolling motor
Run 12/24V supplies 24V to the TM.

MJETX

Recruit
Thanks for the reply,
both batteries are in the back on either side of the fuel tank.
Welcome aboard.
The trolling motor batteries are not electrically connected to the motor charging system.
Ahhhh that makes perfect sense. I will install a selector.