Wire to ignition and coil

Edrowski

Cadet
Hey everyone. I have a 84 bayliner Capri with the Volvo penta aq125. When I went to get the boat I could turn the key and it would turn over. Now when I turn the key it doesn't do anything. But I can get the motor to start up by running a wire from the battery to the coil and a screw driver to the ignition I think it is. Any ideas of what I should look for or how to test where the problem is. I'm new to boating and this being my first boat I'm still learning a lot. Thanks in advance

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the same boat. If you follow the small red and yellow wire off the starter it should lead to a small box about 1 inch square . Its just a Bosh Relay. It may be faulty
Under the intake manifold about 4 inches down should have a some wires . check that red button says 40 on it ...maybe it popped out. just push it back in.
Also check ,if any of the 3 wires fell off the starter key switch. Might even have a bad key switch. Which I thing mine is doing right now.
purple wire on key switch goes to coil red ..... yellow to starter. sold red is B+ check and see if you have power there.

I have a little problem with mine ,may be you can help.
Just need to know when you look at your starter. there are two spade terminals on it.
Do both of yours have wires on.
Mine only has one .

What is happening, i can crank my engine and it will not start. But as soon as I let go of the key it will firer up.
Like I said ,i thing it is my key switch.

Last edited: