Finally. Completed and tested an Overboard Engine Shut-off and SOS Lamp device

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightAngler

Cadet
Quite respectful of the many here who are what I feel are master's of the Marine Diagnostics and Repair areas.
Thought I would write a brief history on the project I have been working-on for quite sometime regarding the safety of those who for whatever reason unteather themselves to grab a rod or whatever while their small boat's in motion on the water. Which, especially when alone leaves the possibility (18% Die/yr on average) following overboard only to be left behind as their boat carry's on without them.
To counter that possibility I have designed several models of a unit that will shut-down an outboard motor or electric trolling motor should a single occupant fall overboard. The base model I call the "Lone Fisherman 1". I have seen professional electronic engineers firstly to get an understanding of costs associated with the electronics-design and North America building of the the unit from the one-man unit through Alaskan Crab-fishing Boat's crew.
End written estimate to a working single prototype ranged from 68K to 92K CDN, well beyond what I could raise in the foreseeable future. Then factory, Inventory of parts, continuing R&D, Employees...
really got me thinking of researching off the shelf components modified for the needs of the working model. Well after almost two years I have completed the initial and simplest model for the loan fisherman.

WHAT IT IS: The simple unit works from a 12 volt supply, a specially wired five channel radio transmitter, and receiver, relays (high and low amperage) and other electronic hardware.
WHAT IT DOES: This carried small transmitter operates on two individual channels to exclude false stray signals from accidental shut-down operations. Once depressed, depending on the package needed for ones motors..will 1) Shut Down the Outboard or Inboard (still researching Diesel application). 2) Shut-off Electric trolling motor and 3) Turn-on a high powered SOS multi-high out LEDS.

All to stop the boat allowing the person overboard a chance to e.g. at night locate and swim to and re-board. I have two working prototypes on the LF1 model that I have tested last fall and earlier this summer. Both do what I designed them to do. There were a dozen or so mods..but they work.
The cost after completion less the R&D was and will be affordable to the average fisherman. Amongst other much more sophisticated, multi application, buttons and bells, I have also designed the skikey version..allowing the Skier in distress to depress a single button on a wrist-warn transmitter to immediate notify the captain of an immediate need to stop.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Two questions:

1. What would be retail cost? Under $200?

2. Does it shut down the motor if, say, the lone boater is somehow disabled (knocked unconsciuos, etc) on the way overboard?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Boats have had the emegency shutdown lanyards for decades

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
NightAngler

This sounds very much like a Kickstarter or other crowdfunding funding request. If it isn't, my apologies.

However it does smack of an effort to sell your product. This is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.