Possible bad ignition switch?

Neilsarah

Cadet
So I have a 2005 crown line 202 br with mercruiser motor. Sometimes I turn the key and nothing. I turn it off then back on and it will turn over. No other issues with starting. Once it cranks it starts no problem. Other times it takes 10-15 times of on off to get it to turn. Sometimes it turns over every time. Am I on the right track by replacing the ignition switch?

alldodge

Staff member
So I have a 2005 crown line 202 br with mercruiser motor. Sometimes I turn the key and nothing. I turn it off then back on and it will turn over. No other issues with starting. Once it cranks it starts no problem. Other times it takes 10-15 times of on off to get it to turn. Sometimes it turns over every time. Am I on the right track by replacing the ignition switch?

Howdy

The most probable issues is the start relay, IF this is a Volvo Penta, or the slave relay IF this is a Mercruiser.
What motor is in the boat?

alldodge

Staff member
It is the mercruiser motor

Always helps to know what your working on, without it we have been known to give info out for chain saws :rolleyes: So its a Merc what, V6, V8, 4 cylinder, carb or EFI? Motor serial numbers are also very helpful

alldodge

Staff member
V8 efi. I'll need some time to get the serial number. (Boat is at the storage lot)

Your making it rough but the most probable cause is the slave relay. Not knowing which motor, but it should be one of two different relays. This is the most probable one which will be found is this one
Slave Relay 89-96054T.jpg

There will be a Black and a Yellow/Red wire on the small bottom terminals. The upper larger terminals will also have a Yellow/Red wire but don't mess with these right now. When the key is turned to START, you should get 12V on the small Yellow/Red wire. If you do get 12V when key is turned to start, then the relay needs to be replaced.

If you do not get 12V when the key is turned then you will need either another key switch or you have some corrosion on the terminals and wires

The other relay which can be found if you motor is newer will look like this.

525-86-865202T.jpg

Keep in mind with having an EFI motor (might be MPI) you will have this kind or relay which will control your main power and the fuel pump. If you only see two of these style relays then for right now don't mess with them, but if you see three of them then one is the slave relay

Neilsarah

Cadet
Ok. I cruised up to the storage yard. Serial number is 0w350665. Also where would this relay be located? By the motor/ battery or behind the dash?

Neilsarah

Cadet
No Title

Is this what your talking about?

Attachments

• photo268607.JPG
    photo268607.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
That's the same kind of relay but its for the trim solenoid. Look for the same one around the ECM (computer brain for the motor). Thanks for the serial number, and it will look just like the one you found but will be on top the motor

Neilsarah

Cadet
Ok. I found the relay. His may be a stupid question but do I need to check voltage with the wires connected? Or un plug them then check the voltage. I don't have my tester with me so Im hooking up and bringing it home for the night. Thanks again.

Neilsarah

Cadet
Sorry. One more question. Since this is happening randomly. (Every time I turned the key just now it started no problem) do I have to test this only when it's not working?

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry. One more question. Since this is happening randomly. (Every time I turned the key just now it started no problem) do I have to test this only when it's not working?

It has to be tested when it is not working, and your looking for voltage on the wires which need to be connected.

In most cases with the relay going out the key is turned and there is a click but nothing happens. If your turning the key and hear nothing it could be the relay but could also be a bad connection. With you just remove/reinstalling the relay you may have fixed the issue by making a better contact. I'm not a fan at throwing parts at a problem, but in this case the relay is fairly cheap and could just replace it.

Neilsarah

Cadet
When it does happen I do not hear anything. No click. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at this. I don't want to get stranded on the water. With that being said would replacing the relay and the ignition switch be a proactive approach to fix it?

alldodge

Staff member
When it does happen I do not hear anything. No click. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at this. I don't want to get stranded on the water. With that being said would replacing the relay and the ignition switch be a proactive approach to fix it?

The click is very light, not like the one you would hear on the starter solenoid. If it is the relay or the key switch you shouldn't get stranded. There is a cover over the top two larger terminals on the relay. If it won't start because of the key or the relay, take the cover off the terminals and use something made from metal and cross the two contacts. Crossing the two contacts will energize the starter.

You could change both items but I would try to find out what the issue is. If I was to choose I would do the relay.

Have you looked on the back of the key switch to see if the wires are tight?