75 searay srv 240

Staaannnn66

Cadet
Hi. First time here. Bunch of knowledgeable people​.

As you can see. I have a 75 searay srv 240.. just got it. I'm pretty fimilar with engines and stuff. But I'm not getting spark. When I take off the two wires on the + post of the ignition coil, and test them. (While off coil) I get a full 12v!!! Once them wires are on coil. It drops down to 5.5v... something isn't right. Im stumped

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

new to you motor with points. suggest you file the points, re-gap them and then go from there. or better yet, change the points and condenser, re-gap them and go from there.

you have either a ballast resistor or a resistor wire feeding the points. your points only get 12 volts during cranking.

this is points ignition 101 http://classicmechanic.blogspot.com/2011/03/ignition.html

Staaannnn66

Cadet
I have just recently purchased a 75 srv 240 and I'm not getting spark.. I have replaced points and gapped at .020. new condenser. New ignition coil. Still no spark. I'm getting 5.5v at + post of ignition coil when the key is on. Bit when you crank the motor over it jumps to 8.5-9v

Still no spark. New plugs as well.

The boat was sitting for a couple few 8 years.. do you think it could be dirty connections throughout​?

Thanks!!

Staaannnn66

Cadet
I cleaned starter connections and noticed the Spade in the distributor was touching the bottom of the distributor.. put that on the top.

Now I have 12.5v at the + post of coil WITH the points OPEN...

Still no spark at grounded plug(I know I should get a tester, short on cash currently 😂)

My next guess would be a cap and rotor? Agree disagree? Why?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
go back to points basic. your gap is .020 with points open, do they actually close? all you need to verify is a test light or a free multi-meter from harbor freight. also, even with new points, you need to file them

you should be able to set the points in the field with a match book as a guide. points are the simplest ignition system on the face of the earth for multi-cylinder engines.

one end of the point wire goes to ground, the switched end goes to negative side of coil. +12 volts to the plus side of the coil (ignoring ballast resistors and the I terminal on the starter). assuming that the points are opening and closing, you will have the coil building a charge for every lobe on the dizzy camshaft.

the rotor simply points that charge to one of the spark plug towers on the cap, which is wired to a spark plug.

Staaannnn66

Cadet
Yes, with the points being open. I have 12v at the + post.

I don't think there's a ballast on this vessel..

I have a multi meter I used.

But when the points are closed.. what should the voltage be at the + post of coil??

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yes, with the points being open. I have 12v at the + post.

I don't think there's a ballast on this vessel..

I have a multi meter I used.

But when the points are closed.. what should the voltage be at the + post of coil??

with points you need to run a resistor wire or a ballast resistor, or you burn the points up in about 3-4 hours

the points are the switch to ground for the coil. on the primary side coil terminals, you should see ground on the - side of the coil and wither 9 volts (ballast resistor) or 12 volts while cranking (from the i terminal on the starter) on the + terminal. on the secondary side of the coil, you should see an instantaneous voltage of 35,000 - 50,000 volts when the points open as the coil discharges.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just what is this motor yer workin' on,..??

Merc,..?? OMC,..?? Volvo,..??

Staaannnn66

Cadet
Hey thanks for the reply bondo! Its a 76 351 merc i believe.. Got the sumbitch running tho!!

Now I'm hunting down the correct stearing cable replacement and can't seem to find one.. Do you know a reliable site?

Thanks!