Radio won't come on but there is power to it and fuse not blown

mikefoye

Cadet
I have a 2006 Tracker Party Barge 22 Regency. The stereo radio (Pyle) was working fine last time out and then this weekend we got in the boat and no radio. I used a voltage tester (red light inside tube) to see if it was getting power and it was getting power to the radio. I then checked the radio mounted fuse and it was okay. I replaced it anyway. Still would't work (display would not come on). I got on line and looked up the brand and several ratings were not good so I went to the store and brought a brand new Sony (a nice version) and installed it. Same result. Power shows to be existent to the radio (right at the point of connection to the radio in the wiring harness) and again checked the 10 amp fuse on the radio and it is fine. I am mystified and just spent $230 on a new radio that I might not have had to purchase.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where does the radio tie in its ground wire too? Make sure it is tight/connected

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Clip your tester light on to the ground for the connection to the radio ground, does it still light up?

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Most radios have two power wires, depending how it was wired they may be separate or tied together. Both of them need to have power for the radio to work

Geff.Lampshire

Recruit
10 amp fuse? I hope your speakers can handle it. "Check the ground" is good advice. Did you replace the wire from the wiring harness to the radio? That may have opened; even though it looks good. Check your new radio to be sure it works. That is, attach directly to the 12v battery so that the on board circuitry is out of the loop. Could be DOA (although probably not). If the radio checks good, and still fails when in the circuit; you're going to have to use your multi meter to test the wiring for continuity. Good luck!