chunk of mystery wire

ab59

Ensign
Hello, I am restoring a 1988 Aluminum Starcraft ss20v . I have pulled the 5.7 ? engine and am waiting on my rebuild to get here along with replacing the deck , carpet and upholstery . When I was unbolting the engine and getting the jewlery off for removal I came accross this 3 wire piece of harness that I can't see where it came from. It is about 7 to 8 feet long ( see pictures ) and looks like factory harness material. I have looked at the harness and do not see where it could have been cut from. On a different note , I noticed that when I turned the key on to trim down the sterndrive that my rpm gage went from -0- to pegged out although nothing was running . Don't know if these two are related but thought it worth mentioning. Well what you guys think ?? here are some pics---- DSC01869.JPG DSC01870.JPG DSC01872.JPG DSC01871.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know you stated that it looks like factory wiring, but to me it looks exactly like standard extension cord with the colored shown. If neither end was connected to anything, I would discard it and move on. But that is just my uneducated idea not knowing about your setup as well. JMHO

ab59

Ensign
Hi , the reason that I believe it to be original harness is because of the grommet where it was run through a hole in the Aluminum ( see pic just below my thumb ) somewhere in the boat. It is not ridged wire and appears to be automotive quality.
I dunno , guess I will get an answer when I get the new engine back in and the battery hooked up.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi , the reason that I believe it to be original harness is because of the grommet where it was run through a hole in the Aluminum ( see pic just below my thumb ) somewhere in the boat. It is not ridged wire and appears to be automotive quality.
I dunno , guess I will get an answer when I get the new engine back in and the battery hooked up.

I see what you are talking about. Did you see anywhere that plug retainer could possible fit into? I still say it looks like a typical 115VAC power cord with the three wires inside the insulation. But other then that, I can't think of anything that would use a cord like that. :noidea:

ab59

Ensign
gm280--After I got the engine out I sat down one day and looked at the harness at the transom area and do see any part of the harness that looks like something has been cut from it. I do notice some newer electrical tape wrapped around a part of the harness for some reason. Would a stereo use such wire I wonder , I don't see one in the boat but the speakers are there along with a marine radio. the marine radio still has its wiring. Under the dash looks clean as well with no hacked up wire stubs so now I am also wondering if this chunk of wire went to a sending unit or something along that line. I keep looking for where this was cut from but just don't see any obvious answers so guess when I get everything back together and turn the key on I will have to watch for burning wiring to find out where it went . Hope I'm kidding lol.