Need some music on my boat. Looking for suggestions

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking to get some music on my pontoon. I was going to add a standard marine radio but I think I want to look at other options first. I would like to have radio, as well as a way to use usb or sd card for mp3's as well. I want something that will have good quality and can be heard over the boat motor while cruising if possible, and in the water while anchored and swimming. I have been looking at Bluetooth speakers and found some that I like but they all have their flaws. I like the JBL flip 4 but there is no radio - and I would burn up all the data on my phone plan trying to stream music and radio. I found the Axess Bluetooth speaker on eBay that has usb and sd but I am not sure if it is loud enough. I am trying to stay around the $100 mark if possible. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I put one of these in my boat. http://www.iboats.com/Boss-Audio-MC...961790--session_id.077264252--view_id.1425224

With an open boat, I don't want to spend a ton for some music. So far it seems durable.

USB, Bluetooth, a pair of speakers and fits in a round hole with a small footprint. And it keeps preset settings when the battery is disconnected.

I don't know why, but white speakers are 4 bucks more, but still under a hundred. Other full kits with lower prices - http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Stereo...id.077264252--uattr.brand:303--view_id.718185

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Can you hum?

Whatever you install, just be mindful of other boaters. Lots of us go to the lakes and rivers to enjoy quiet times and nature and float or fish along. Just saying.

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
gm280 - I don't hum - And I'm not trying to be that loud on the ater. I just want some music for me and friends and family to enjoy. Some of us go to the lake to escape for the weekend from work and like to go and enjoy our time and music. We have plenty of space at the lake I go to each summer. I am very mindful of other boaters. Thank you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm280 - I don't hum - And I'm not trying to be that loud on the ater. I just want some music for me and friends and family to enjoy. Some of us go to the lake to escape for the weekend from work and like to go and enjoy our time and music. We have plenty of space at the lake I go to each summer. I am very mindful of other boaters. Thank you.

Please don't take my comment as anything but a comment. I by no means was referring to how loud you play your music or not. I seriously enjoy music as well and have it playing any time I'm in my shop, vehicles or even mowing the lawn. So all I was mentioning was some of the issues other boaters have. Music on a body of water travels extremely far.

Stereos or music systems on boats is a lot harder to get quality sound with engines running and water noise. So if you are going to install something to get that quality sound, it is certainly going to take lots of raw power and quality speakers as well. But with such amounts of power comes huge battery drain. So plan carefully with the head unit, amps, wire and speakers. But make sure you have battery power to get back in also. JMHO

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the info. I didn't take your comment wrong - I completely understand. Which I don't need it that loud, so maybe not over the engine running and more so when we are anchored and swimming / grilling and having family time. I keep looking at bluetooth speakers but can't find any to fit the bill.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for the info. I didn't take your comment wrong - I completely understand. Which I don't need it that loud, so maybe not over the engine running and more so when we are anchored and swimming / grilling and having family time. I keep looking at bluetooth speakers but can't find any to fit the bill.

I have no idea what your real needs are. But A simply head unit and WIRED speakers would solve a lot of issues. Bluetooth speakers still need a power source and therefore I would go the wired type to help eliminate and RFI interference should there be any. And usually a good quality head unit has a lot of substantial output, or even tap off the preamp outputs to a nice amp unit. And then some quality speakers.

And if you can make or buy a good solid mounting box for that head unit, you could use any type head unit and not only marine types. Te difference between the types is how well the circuit boards are coated to keep moisture out of the unit and from the circuits. But a water proof type mounting box can do the same thing. JMHO