Stereo Debugging Issue

ZeroGZ33

Recruit
My 03 Sunsation 288 MCOB (mid cabin open bow) has a Kenwood stereo with 6 polk 6.5" speakers. I noticed static over the stereo and then loss of volume. Could not hear the music while up and running unless I sat down. Now I find out 4 of the 6 speakers are not putting out much sound. Only the speakers in the front bow are working and they seem to work just fine.
The rear two and the two by the driver & front passenger seat do not even vibrate if you put your hand on the cone. A little sound is coming out of tweeter.

Went through all stereo settings to ensure balance and fader were not set just to front. All appeared ok.

So I bought 4 new Polk 6.5's. No joy. I hooked up one of the new ones but still no sound. Now I'm at a loss. Stereo shop is a long ways away and cannot get me in until mid June.

Any one else run into a similar issue? If so what fixed it. Other debugging advice appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard ZeroGZ33 to iboats. Great to have you join us...

So you are having stereo issues. Okay, lets try some things first.

If you can easily get to the stereo outputs right at the stereo/head unit, remove the existing wires that are now going to the helm and rear speakers. Connect some new wires to those outputs that were connected to those speakers and use your new speaker or even one of the others that are not working. if you get anything there, your old wiring is suspect. If you don't get anything there, then your stereo is the problem. If you get something with the new speakers but not the old ones, then your old ones are toast. Easy Peasy. Hope this helps.

ZeroGZ33

Recruit
Thanks!!!! That sounds like the best way for me to diagnose the issue. I'll try that tomorrow.