Trim Sender Gauge Needle Question

c3incjjc

Recruit
Bought a boat and noticed the trim needle is always pointing all the way up. Thought I'd try to adjust/calibrate it and did some Youtube research.
I have the Limit set to 21.75 inches, but can not get the sender needle to dial in. It's either all the way up or all down. I can not get the needle to stop anywhere near 3/4 up or half way for that matter. It's either all up or all down.
When I move the motor either up or down, the needle does not move at all?.I am guessing I need to replace the sender unit.

Any help would be appreciated
Jody

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

would help to know what you are working on. inboard, outboard, I/O, jet ski, brand, model, etc.

all we know is your working on a trim sender and gauge

could be your gauge, could be sender, could be wiring in between

did you use your digital multimeter to test the signal to the gauge? did you test the output of the sender?

tpenfield

Staff member
The 21.75 inches for calibration might indicated a mercruiser I/O, but hopefully the OP will confirm.

c3incjjc

Recruit
To Scott and tpenfield?
2007 21SS Crownline..350 MAG MPI I/O with Alpha one.

I did not test any connections at this point. Reason: the limit switch works..stops motor at 21.75 inches, then can go into trailer mode and bring trim all the way up.
On the trim side, the needle swings all the way up or all the way down, nothing in-between. So, it seems everything is working, just can't dial it in.

What does OP stand for tpenfield?

Thanks
Jody

Bondo

Staff member
What does OP stand for tpenfield?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It stands for You,... The Original Poster,....

The sender measures resistance to ground,....
It's kinda like a rheostat,... ya might be able to clean it up, internally,....
Replacin' 'em is a bear of a job, unless yer already doin' a bellows job,...

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the additional information, Jody.

the issue sort of sounds like the Trim Sender (on the starboard side of the outdrive) is either way out of adjustment, or is not working and may need replacement.

There is an adjustment procedure in the Outdrive service manual that you can use as a guide. Also on the back side of the Trim Sender, there is a small set of markings that show the starting point of where the sender should be set to before securing it to the outdrive with the 2 screws. this will put you 'in the ballpark' and then you can make small adjustments to get the gauge needle where it needs to be for the range of movement of the outdrive.