Loss of power after attempting to start outboard

Jacob190000

Cadet
I have a strange problem that I am unable to find in any other forum post. When attempting to start my outboard(1997 Mercury Force) I occasionally will hear a "clicking" noise, followed by a complete loss of power to all of my gauges. When turning the key, the starter does not get any power. I made sure to unplug all of my accessories, leaving only the outboard ground and power connected to the battery, but this issue still seems to happen. Once this happens, I am unable to start the motor for 1-2 minutes. After 2 minutes or so, I can turn the key and the starter will activate again.

1997 Bayliner Capri
Key Start electic ignition
2 Stroke Mercury Force 75HP

Last edited:

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check your battery cables and the leads connected to your selenoid. Does the clicking sound like your selenoid click? Maybe you're getting a short somewhere. If your battery is old maybe hook up your boat motor to your truck battery and see if the problem goes away or not

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh and try this.. alligator xclip a ground wire to the top of your starter. I had a bad ground on my starter somehow recently and I would hear selenoid click but starter didn't do anythimg. This fixed my issue. I added a ground lead to the bolt on top of my starter for a more permanent t solution. Not sure why that would affect your gauges though

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
clean all your connections to shiny metal. they need to be clean enough to eat off of. everything from the battery to motor and back, including the starter to block connection. when completed, seal with marine electrical varnish

if any of your battery cable conductors are green, replace the cable

Jacob190000

Cadet
Thanks for all your replies. I have cleaned the connections at the battery terminals, but not the connections at the starter. I will go ahead and clean all terminals and see if there is a change. Can anyone explain what is causing the 2 minute gap where I am unable to get any any power to my starter, gauges, etc? Is there some kind of breaker in the solenoid that flips back over after 2 minutes?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bad connection that got hot trying to pass current to start the motor, then as it cools, it makes contact again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That two minute lapse sounds more like an auto-reset circuit breaker tripping due to an over-current condition. It takes about two minutes for that breaker to reset and bingo -- you have power again. The mystery however, is there should be no circuit breaker in the starting circuit. There should be a circuit breaker in the "boat side" of the electrical system . Since accessories AND the engine are affected it would seem the starter solenoid is being fed from the boat harness rather than from the engine harness.