Need advice on reconditioning and maintaining batteries,

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like most of us, I try to keep my batteries in good shape, fully charged, clean and ready for use.

I have a Black and Decker Automatic 2/5/10/15 amp charger with a Recondition mode and an Equalize mode.
The instructions are poorly written with regard to the **Complete** maintenance plan for batteries.
They do say to charge for 20 minutes before using recondition mode but the instruction are weak regarding the equalize mode.

They instruction do not say anything about **repeating** the recondtion mode for an older battery.

There are **Many** internet discussions and YouTube videos about reconditioning batteries.

I would think that the most knowledgeable people regarding maintaining batteries would be boat owners like us.

What do you think about these various methods?

1) Using automatic chargers in the Reconditioning mode?

2) Using non automatic chargers to force reconditioning?

The advice was to "cycle" the battery by running in down after charging it and then charge it again using the manual charger.

To run down the battery. The Youtube video used an inverter and AC light bulbs but that seems like a lot of work. Other videos just used car headlights that had been removed from an old car.

First question: Do any of you intentionally run down your batteries during reconditioning? If so, what do you use?

Next method:

3) Dumping out the acid, rinsing with baking soda and water, replacing with epson salts and water and recharging

So, anyone try this? Any luck?

I do have a new battery in the boat and intend to use a "reconditioned" battery for the backup only.

Any other advice?

Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
kipmc7, What exactly is wrong with your batteries? I ask because if you presently have good working batteries, why do anything but keep them charged and use them? I would NOT empty them and use baking Soda to flush them out ever! AND I wouldn't change out the acid either. I would simply keep them clean with the terminals clean and shiny metal and charge them every time you get back for using them. And I would buy a good battery monitor/charger system and forget about them. But that is just my $0.02 cents worth.

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little more info.

I just bought this boat. It has 2 batteries but only 1 is wired in. I do plan on wiring in the 2nd battery and adding a battery switch.

The 2nd battery, that was not wired in, has gone dead. It is only 16 months old so, using one of methods above, I'm hoping to get it back i shape to at least be a back up or accessory battery. I could use it to boost power for starting if needed or to run the radio.

So a little more advice the Reconditioning and Equalize modes would be appreciated.

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't leave the battery discharged, it will kill it, that is if it's any good after being dead so long. Just charge it and see if it holds a charge, or even charge at all. Worry about trying to recondition it after that. I just get ride of batteries that have been sitting dead, they tend to return to that dead state right when you need them most.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
My Husky portable smart charger has a recondition mode, also. It's there to desulfate a battery once in a great while. During the season I keep my batteries charged using the onboard charger on the boat. When it comes out of the water in the fall, and I've disconnected the batteries, I use the recondition mode. Takes 24 hours per battery with my charger. When it's done the battery is desulfated and fully charged. I wrap the boat and ignore the batts until spring. Then I put them back on the charger. So far (they're now 6 years old), it's only taken 15 minutes or less to bring the batteries back to full charge. I will notes that mine are high quality Lifeline AGM's.

Some prefer to use a trickle charger, or periodically charge the batts over the winter. My take is to leave it alone- if the battery is discharged in the spring it's time to replace it. I'd rather know it then, before the boat goes in the water. My opinion, my method.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sad to say, but if the battery is dead, chances of reconditioning it to anything usable and/or reliable is about the same as winning the Power Ball Lottery. Cut your lost and buy a new fresh battery and happy boating. JMHO

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
The newer of the 2 batteries is in good shape. It holds a charge well. I'm going to run the Recondition mode on it just to get it as good as possible. The older of the 2 was 1/2 charged. I will run the Recondition mode on it a couple of time and see what I get.

Thanks for all the advice.