Dual Battery Setup, Starting from Scratch

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello all, im in the process of restoring my 19 foot 1986 Searay open bow. Ive converted it to a dual purpose boat, comfort/fishing.

I have a minn kota power drive trolling motor and a 4 banger mercruiser alpha one.

At this point i know i want two batteries, 1 house and 1 trolling. So far ive been looking at the optima blues (4 blues to choose from i cant tell which i s right for me...

any suggested batteries and or setups are welcome

the whole "dual purpose" thing is confusing me

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
U should have 1 starter battery and 1 house battery. Starter battery's shouldn't be deep discharged multiple times. Dual purpose battery's can be deep discharged multiple times

tpenfield

Staff member
Don't let product marketing terminology confuse you . . . IMO batteries is batteries. :D

A good approach would be to use the Perko battery switch with "Off-1-2-Both" positions.

They sell them here on iBoats :thumb:

9-8511dp_0.jpg

That should take the guesswork out of wiring the batteries up, etc.

. . . for some reason, I thought you were pretty much done with your SeaRay restorations . . . finishing touches I guess. :)

alldodge

Staff member
My opinion, others differ:
I would stay clear of Optima's (AGM Battery), they are not worth the money. If you want to go AGM's go with Lifeline, Odyssey, Trojan, Deka or Duracell

Dual purpose bats are not true deep cycles, but that is about what marketing offers. Using a trolling motor can take a bat down fast depending on which model you have

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Deep cycle is essential for the HOUSE/TROLLER and a standard MARINE STARTING battery is fine for the engine. The house battery should be a minimum group size 27. Check the labels. I too feel it is not necessary to buy so called "high tech" batteries. The may last a tad longer than standard batteries but they do not provide more capacity in a given size. Keep those batteries topped off (especially the house battery) and it will last a long time. You need an on-board smartg charger for the house battery that you can plug into house power at the dock or wherever the boat is stored. A deeply discharged house battery will not be topped off in a 1/2 hour or even and hour run back to the dock.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My opinion, others differ:
I would stay clear of Optima's (AGM Battery), they are not worth the money. If you want to go AGM's go with Lifeline, Odyssey, Trojan, Deka or Duracell

Dual purpose bats are not true deep cycles, but that is about what marketing offers. Using a trolling motor can take a bat down fast depending on which model you have
I agree...would never buy an Optima. Stick to the AGM brands that AllDodge noted. I use 2 Odysseys in one of my boats. When they need to be replaced, I will be using Lifeline or Deka. They are currently 4 years old and load test like a brand new battery. I have never see a flooded lead acid load test like that after 4 years.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
thanks everybody, im now shopping for a starter battery, a deep cycle battery and a switch.

what do you guys think about the acp from blue seas? but like somebody already said, you cant charge a deep cycle battery of a starter battery...

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't let product marketing terminology confuse you . . . IMO batteries is batteries. :D

A good approach would be to use the Perko battery switch with "Off-1-2-Both" positions.

They sell them here on iBoats :thumb:

That should take the guesswork out of wiring the batteries up, etc.

. . . for some reason, I thought you were pretty much done with your SeaRay restorations . . . finishing touches I guess. :)
motor went in last weekend, repaired the throttle handle wires i messed up, trim pump went in today, out drive going on tommorow, im on sears,com looking for the suggested brands, maybe i can get them locally, ill look online too but im thinking shipping for two batteries would be pretty steep

alldodge

Staff member
The Duracell will be OK, or could go compare at Sears the Die Hard Platinum, Bruce found out they are rebadged Odyssey's (even better)

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The Duracell will be OK, or could go compare at Sears the Die Hard Platinum, Bruce found out they are rebadged Odyssey's (even better)
thanks alldodge

i would say the die hard marine platinumms have been discontinued, none show on the sears.com also i read in other forms where they confirm they have been discontnued, ill call sears when they open to confirm, its early morning

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
the more i shop the more i see "dual purpose" marine batteries, is this really just a marketing skeem?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
but like somebody already said, you cant charge a deep cycle battery of a starter battery...
utter nonsense....guess my batteries where "mislabeled" all those years....

Let me guess, you can't use a deep cycle as a starting battery either....lol

Ran a 1-2- both selector switch for years between starting and deep cycle. Got tired of playing with switch and installed ACR with off-on-both switch.

Needed more reserve when I installed radar. Swapped out starting battery for second deep cycle.

Properly sizing your batteries is the key

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
thanks alldodge

i would say the die hard marine platinumms have been discontinued, none show on the sears.com also i read in other forms where they confirm they have been discontnued, ill call sears when they open to confirm, its early morning
That is correct, Sears no longer offers the rebadged Oddysey AGM batteries.