Watersnake troll motor noisy

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a watersnake 54lb thrust troll motor that is noisy/squeaky when i turn the handle. It is sticky and I don't know how to resolve issue. anybody have one that did this? I have sprayed silicon spray and it help but eventually starts to do it again. I appreciate any help..

Attachments

• Whitesnake 54lb Troll Motor.jpg
    Whitesnake 54lb Troll Motor.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
PISTONESAL, is this trolling motor a hand controlled or foot? And is the squeak coming from the head unit or the shaft going to the foot? If it is coming from the head unit, it sounds like you may need to grease the gears in the head. But without seeing the internals of the head, that is merely a wild guess. If it is a foot controlled, you could even need to lube the cable from the foot unit to the head. Again, without more info, those are merely guesses. JMHO

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello gm280,

Thanks for reply. Its hand controlled. It seems to come from both areas. I have sprayed silicon where it swivels in mount and helps but eventally does it again. At the head unit, it a little strange as when I go to turn it, the head unit has like a half inch turn to it before the shaft starts to turn and it creeps there. I have not taken it apart yet but was hoping to get some suggestions if maybe comeone has seen it. Is there grease fittings on these motors? I have never seen any..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
hello gm280,

Thanks for reply. Its hand controlled. It seems to come from both areas. I have sprayed silicon where it swivels in mount and helps but eventally does it again. At the head unit, it a little strange as when I go to turn it, the head unit has like a half inch turn to it before the shaft starts to turn and it creeps there. I have not taken it apart yet but was hoping to get some suggestions if maybe comeone has seen it. Is there grease fittings on these motors? I have never seen any..

Okay, I have never seen your particular trolling motor in person, or even a parts break down of it either. It looks like your problem could be at the swivel section in the blue oval section in the picture below. Check closely to make sure there is no rusted bearings in that section.

There are Whitesnake repair parts available on line as well as downloadable manuals. I realize the TM picture below isn't your exact model, but it is very similar...I hope. The area of concern is in the blue oval. The tension adjustment seems to be the lower thumbscrew. Make sure that is not adjusted too tight. . JMHO

TM.png

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah the one I have is a bow mount hand controlled. I checked that scre and have tried adjusting it to no luck. The head part that has the 1/2" turn before it engauses to turn is wierd.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yeah the one I have is a bow mount hand controlled. I checked that scre and have tried adjusting it to no luck. The head part that has the 1/2" turn before it engauses to turn is wierd.

Well if the head unit turns at all and not the shaft to the foot with it, you have a broken pin or screw in the head, I am assuming. Time to open her up and have a look see.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The unit head turns about a half inch before the shaft does with the foot. But the shaft and foot does turn just don't know why it does that. I will open and check.