Wiring 1 deep cycle and 1 standard battery

rooster519

Cadet
A few years ago I purchased a 1986 Alumacraft Classic 16. It has 2 batteries in it, but they are not tied together in anyway. From everything I have read that seems odd. There is one deep cycle which starts the motor and tilt trim operation. Everything else (ie. lights, live well, etc.) seems to run off of the other battery, which is not deep cycle. Is this normal? Should I somehow tie these together? I'm getting ready to rewire the boat and figured I should try to figure this out before I do it wrong. Thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have your batteries switched around

the deep cycle is for trolling motors and radio, and stuff

the starting battery is for starting your motor, trim, etc.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
For your starting battery...normally a GRP24..should be a Marine Cranking.....The trolling motor and accessory battery should be a GRP27 or Larger Marine Deep Cycle. There is normally no reason for them to be connected together.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There is normally no reason for them to be connected together.
the battery grounds should be connected and terminated to a common ground point.

Multiple grounds of differing potentials are not your friend on a boat

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
the battery grounds should be connected and terminated to a common ground point.

Multiple grounds of differing potentials are not your friend on a boat
WRONG! If using the 2nd battery to run the ACC/Trolling Motor All the + & - wires should be hooked to that battery. The cranking battery cables should only be hooked to the cranking battery. DO NOT connect the batteries together. When charging,charge each battery by it's self, unless you have a onboard charger with separate leads.. Never use the hull of a aluminum boat as your grounding point.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
WRONG! If using the 2nd battery to run the ACC/Trolling Motor All the + & - wires should be hooked to that battery. The cranking battery cables should only be hooked to the cranking battery. DO NOT connect the batteries together. When charging,charge each battery by it's self, unless you have a onboard charger with separate leads.

Tying the grounds to a common neutral prevents ground loops. It has no effect on the charge or discharge processes of the battery whatsoever.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Dingbat is not suggesting you tie the POSITIVES together as well to create a parallel connection. ONLY the negatives is what he is suggesting -- for a very good reason.