AIS question

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
I just installed a SH 2200. Has the built in gps with AIS got it working with my old school A70 chartplotter . It's real cool. Downloaded an app on my phone called USHIP and you can see the vessel's on both. But did just find out the SH2200 only rx's and doesn't tx. I found out that theres 2 classes. Class A will tx and rx AIS which is used more in commercial vessels and B for recreational vessels which just rx. I hear they use a lot of power and r pricey. Is there a device to add to tx ais? Is it worth it? I do go off shore Fishing just wondering if it's worth it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a Garmin AIS 300 receiver. I fish a couple of busy shipping channels and it's nice to know where the big boys are well in advance.

I contemplated going with the AIS 600 (send and receive) but couldn't justify the additional $300 for what?

I can count the number of people I know with AIS to track me on one hand. The number people I know with AIS transmit so I could see them is smaller yet.

The AIS 600 uses 20W of power. In comparison, my chart plotter uses 35W, sounder 27W and VHF radio is 60W.

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
I'm thinking it maybe a good idea for them to see me also. Although I would think that most of the commercial guys and bigger recreational vessels use other means to see me also. But still a very cool gadget that I'm thinking I'll get.

No one else tx's AIS?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alot of larger recreational guys use AIS as well, I install alot of Garmin AIS 600 and Furno FA-50's.
it is nice to have them see you using AIS. If you go out in the traffic lanes, or see alot of larger boats, would be a good investment

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm thinking it maybe a good idea for them to see me also. Although I would think that most of the commercial guys and bigger recreational vessels use other means to see me also. ?
AIS is not a substitute for radar.

A capable radar unit is a better option for vessel identification

jhebert

Ensign
I just installed a SH 2200. ...Is there a device to add to tx ais? Is it worth it?

There is no ADD-ON device to convert a Standard-Horizon GX2200 VHF Marine Band radio into an AIS CLASS-B Transponder. Since there is no device, the "worth" of such a device cannot be estimated.

If you wish to carry an AIS CLASS-B TRANSPONDER, you will have to purchase that device as a separate device, distinct from your Standard-Horizon GX2200 VHF Marine Band radio.

An AIS CLASS-B TRANSPONDER will cost at least $500 and perhaps as much as $800. You will also need a special antenna for it, as the transmitter for AIS operates at a much different frequency than the transmitter in VHF Marine Band ship radios. The typical VHF Marine Band radio antenna used on small boats will not have sufficient VSWR bandwidth to work properly at the AIS frequency. Thus you should allot about $200 to $250 for a new antenna and mount.

Some AIS CLASS-B TRANSPONDERS are sold with only an internal GNSS receiver and antenna. Depending on where the device is installed on your boat, the GNSS reception may not be useful, and an external GNSS antenna or antenna-receiver may be needed. If so, plan on an additional cost of about $75.

Some AIS CLASS-B TRANSPONDERS provide for an accessory remote transmit ON-OFF switch. If you want that function, add about $50.

AIS TRANSPONDER require an marine mobile service identity (MMSI) . I strongly recommend you obtain an MMSI from the FCC instead of from a secondary registration agency. You can obtain an MMSI from the FCC at no added cost when you obtain your SHIP STATION license. An FCC SHIP STATION LICENSE will cost $215 and is good for ten-years.

The total cost of adding an AIS CLASS-B TRANSPONDER will thus be about $915 to $1,315. As for how much value or "worth" having an AIS CLASS-B TRANSPONDER on your boat will bring to you, you are the only person who can assess the cost-benefit ratio.

For a list of CLASS B AIS TRANSPONDERS on the market, see

AIS CLASS B TRANSPONDER ROUND-UP
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/AISB.html

jhebert

Ensign
...I found out that [there are classes] ...and [CLASS] B for recreational vessels which just [receive].

You are misinformed. A CLASS-B AIS TRANSPONDER transmits data. A CLASS-B AIS TRANSPONDER is not just for recreational vessels. Many commercial vessels use CLASS-B AIS TRANSPONDERS.

There is no "class" categorization of RECEIVE-ONLY devices. They just receive.

To gain further understand of the automatic identification system (AIS) I recommend you read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...ication_system

Last edited:

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
For appx $1000 I think it'd better to save that for radar like 1 of the threads said. Looks like it not worth it yet.

jhebert

Ensign
...better to save...for radar....

RADAR is not a substitute for AIS. It can be useful if you are in a region with perpetual FOG conditions. But there is no target identification with RADAR and much depends on operator interpretation of the PPI display. Depending on another ship's RADAR to see your vessel in conditions of limited visibility is a risk. The so-called RADAR Reflectors have been found to be ineffective.

Consider this: if RADAR were a superior method of ship identification, why would the international commercial shipping community have developed AIS? Why would they have made carriage of AIS mandatory for all large ships? Why is carriage of AIS now being expanded to include smaller commercial ships?

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Consider this: if RADAR were a superior method of ship identification, why would the international commercial shipping community have developed AIS? Why would they have made carriage of AIS mandatory for all large ships? Why is carriage of AIS now being expanded to include smaller commercial ships?

USE OF AIS IN COLLISION AVOIDANCE SITUATIONS 40 The potential of AIS as an assistance for anti-collision device is recognized and AIS may be recommended as such a device in due time.
41 Nevertheless, AIS information may merely be used to assist in collision avoidance decision-making. When using the AIS in the ship-to-ship mode for anti-collision purposes, the following cautionary points should be borne in mind:
.1 AIS is an additional source of navigational information. It does not replace, but supports, navigational systems such as radar target-tracking and VTS; and
.2 the use of AIS does not negate the responsibility of the OOW to comply at all times with the Collision Regulations, particularly rule 7 when determining whether risk of collisions exists.

Hazards to navigation that are not required to broadcast AIS signals:
1. Jetties
2. Rock Piles
3. Navigation buoys
4. Fish traps
5. Non-commercial vessels under 65 ft. (95% of all boat traffic)
6. Crab traps and pots
7. Trot line markers
8. Sector lights
9. Shipping containers adrift
10.Bridge pilings
11. US government vessels
12. etc.

Chesapeake Bay Trophy Striper fishing season opened last weekend. There are easily 500 boats out fishing at the time the screen capture was taken.

Given the list of non-broadcasting hazards outlines above, do you consider AIS to be a viable alternative to radar during periods of low visibility or darkness?

canvas.png

jhebert

Ensign
...do you consider AIS to be a viable alternative to radar during periods of low visibility or darkness?

You seem to have inferred that I said that AIS was an alternative to RADAR. I never said that.

The topic here is the value of installing AIS transponders.

When a boat transmits AIS it is going to VISIBLE to all other boats with AIS.

Boats with or without RADAR are not necessarily going to be visible to boats with RADAR. It will depend on the RADAR return they generate. My rather low, fiberglass boat has very little RADAR cross section and probably would not appear on most shop RADAR sets at a 10-mile range. My AIS signal will.

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
From a safety perspective I want both. Can't afford both now. I think in time I will have both. I like the idea that, if any of the vessels around me have registered for AIS and it operational they can also see me. Can u put a price on safety? Plus it's a cool toy.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also if you get the AIS, you can get a MMSI and use the DSC feature of your VHF......
more safety :)