Problem with powering radio stereo

_andylam

Recruit
So I was able to get power to my marine radio to work when I was testing it by directly hooking up the battery. But after soldering up the speaker wires and individually electrical taping them and then bundle taping them while running a 15 ft. wiring directly to the positive and negative leads to the battery it would always blow the radio fuse. There were 3 wires that were previously attached to the old harness when I tested them and it still worked. I cut the 3 wires free from the old harness and electrical taped them up. Any thoughts on getting the radio to work?

P.S My factory power wires were giving me no power so I was looking for an alternative way to draw power to the radio.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

_andylam

Recruit
Radio fuse keeps blowing after directly connected to the battery

When testing the radio with the positive and negative leads directly hooked on the battery and it worked fine. After individually soldering and electrical taping the speaker wires, I bundle taped them together. Then I had a 15 ft wiring from the battery to the radio unit. The fuse on the radio kept on blowing, do you have any idea what may cause this? My factory power wires no longer have any power when we hooked them up, so we were looking for alternative ways to get power to the radio.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, never start multiple threads on same topics

second, we cant see what wires you cut, or how you wired the radio, however you have a direct short somewhere.

my suggestion, re-trace your wires

never wire straight to the battery, you always want a switch in between, or the clock function on the radio will kill your battery over a period of a few weeks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
And use heat shrink tubing on splices - - not electrical tape.