Courtesy light bulbs

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I need to replace 2 courtesy light bulbs and there are no markings on them at all. They are the mini wedge base bulbs. I searched and there all kinds of bulbs out there with different volts, amps and wattage. I assume I need 12v bulbs but have no idea what amps or wattage I need. Any suggestions?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Just pop into any Advance Auto, NAPA auto, or similar and grab a pack of two wedge base courtesy lamp bulbs off the rack. They'll work just fine.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Just pop into any Advance Auto, NAPA auto, or similar and grab a pack of two wedge base courtesy lamp bulbs off the rack. They'll work just fine.

I checked with Autozone and they carry them. The highest wattage they carry is 3.8. Is that a good choice or should I try to find one with higher wattage?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are also LED replacements for those. I would switch to the LED equivalent to whatever bulb you are planning on buying.

BTW, 3.8W sounds about right for a courtesy light.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys. I will check out LED or go with a 3.8w wedge bulb.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The courtesy lights on my boat were incandescent with a bulb base that extended so far back that it interfered with a heater duct. So I replaced them with entire LED courtesy light assemblies that work much better than the OEM assemblies.