Head Unit, 3 Amps, 8 Mids/Highs, 2 Subwoofers - Amp and Head unit wiring?

travelon1979

Cadet
I'm comfortable with installing a sound system with everything except how to wire up the head unit and amplifiers.

What I'm working with:

*I already have a two batter set up with switch. Attached diagram only shows my house batter.
*I'm installing: Head unit - two 4 channel amps (both 4x75 RMS) - one mono amp (600 RMS) - eight kicker 6.5 Speakers - two 10" Kicker Marine subs

I'm comfortable on how to make all the RCA connections between the headunit and amps as well as making all the speaker connections. My big area I'm trying to research and get some feedback on is powering / Grounding the amps and head unit.

I want to install a switch to control the audio system so that while the ignition is off I can still play the radio.

If anyone with some 12 volt audio knowledge could take a peak at my wiring diagram I'd appreciate it. My questions are:

*Should I use two inline fuses for the new stereo switch? I'm assuming I'd use on back by the battery but should I also use on just before the switch. It will require approximately 12' of power wire to make it from the battery to the new switch.

If I am bypassing the the boat ignition system I really don't need to utilize the wiring harness behind the head unit do I? I"m not using the amps in the head unit at all therefore all the existing speaker wire would be useless. The power wire will come directly from the battery. I have the red power wire and yellow ignition wire. Do I connect both to the battery? I'm also thinking I would run my head unit ground all the way back to the negative on the terminal as you would with the amplifiers.

The amps are pretty straightforward. 0/1 guage power and ground wire to 3 way distribution blocks. I'll come out with 4 gauge to all three amps. In line fuse just off the battery.

My remote amp turn on lead wire I'm assuming I would need to run a wire from my head unit to a transfer block splitting off into three wires. Some say there should be enough voltage to run into the first amp then use jumper wires to the other two amps. Any advice here and does this wire need to be fused?

Attachments

• photo261380.jpg
    photo261380.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0

drolds72

Seaman Apprentice
I just went thru this in my jeep. If you would like to power everything thru an Acc switch, then that will be the master power. This is where you would run the red wire to from the HU. The yellow wire, is what actually provides contant power to run the HU, and retain memory. run this straight to your distribution block or battery, with a fuse close to the power source. The other wire you will need is the Amp trigger wire. Not the pwr antenna wire. run this to your trigger input on your amps. its relatively low voltage, so splitting this wire is ok- no need to use a dist block for it, just solder or splice 3 wires together. Personally, I would bring heavy gauge wire to you hot dist block, and fuse each amp separately off of that. Run a 0/1 ground to battery and another dist block- ground everything there. Tape off all of the unused speaker wires along with the power antenna trigger. If you use the pwr antenna wire to trigger amps, you will only turn amps on in AM/FM mode. hope this helps