trolling motor circuit wiring

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I have a bow mount Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 (12vdc 55) on a fish and ski. The circuit for it used to be: #6 wire direct from the battery to a 60 amp breaker. There was also a switch on the hot lead before the TM , to prevent the GPS from draining the battery. I wanted to be able to remove the TM when not in use as this boat is stored on the street , so I installed a plug and receptacle. Since then my control board on the TM has gone south and I'm trying to figure out why. I was able to confirm that the control board was bad so I have another one ordered. Question is, will using a plug on this circuit in some way damage the control board? That board is encased in some kind of resin(?) that prevents any diagnosis of what component may have failed. Is it likely that when I plug the motor in a spike or surge occurs that may cause damage? I'm really just trying to prevent this from happening again, especially if using a plug is an issue.
Jcris

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Hello fishrdan,
I tried to get the best set up I could find. This receptacle and plug is from Battery Tender (Deltran) . This has a locking screw on type plug that really holds the plug in the receptacle securely. I really can't see how this would create an issue. I just don't want to fry my new board.
Jcris

Attachments

• photo261450.jpg
    photo261450.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0