foot pedal

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Minn Kota Power Drive V2 (55 lb) 12 vdc trolling motor. It's a decent set-up except for the foot pedal control. The pedal responds very inconsistently. I've taken it apart to clean and inspect it and it looks great. The switch is actuated by a plastic arm that presses down on a thin metal cover over the switch mechanism.
I think this design is destined to sell more foot controls. Was reliability even considered or just cheap components? The speed control portion of it seems to work ok, it's mostly the turning function that's terribly inconsistent. So I'm thinking about installing some momentary switches that would get better results.Anyone ever do this with good results? Is there a better more reliable foot pedal out there? Or just more of the same? I'm curious what you folks have come up with.
Best regards,
Jcris

gm280

Supreme Mariner
After looking at your trolling motor in a goggle search, I see it is a foot controlled motorized turning setup and not the typical cable with a rack setup. So before doing anything serious, check to see if the switches are the problem. Press on them individually to see how and when they contact to turn the trolling motor. Maybe they are not a problem and maybe they are. But until you verify they are not working correctly, making a new setup may not satisfy what you want. ANd if the switches are intermitent, you could buy replacements and happy boating again. JMHO

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Good point gm280,
I will check those switches with a VOM to see if they are responding consistently.
Jcris

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I checked all the switches on the PCB and they are good. That leads me to the plastic arms that actuate the switches. Those arms are depressed by rocking the cover with your foot. That whole set up seems shaky..

Attachments

• photo261253.jpg
    photo261253.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I checked all the switches on the PCB and they are good. That leads me to the plastic arms that actuate the switches. Those arms are depressed by rocking the cover with your foot. That whole set up seems shaky..

WOW, that is an interesting setup indeed. Are the actual contacts clean without any carbon/burnt build up? What are your plans?

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

The entire foot pedal/control looks good, but the problem persists. Today I'm going to test the control board. I can hear the main relay click when I put power to it but it seems inconsistent. I'm going to run power directly to test whether the motor will turn and start/stop consistently. I suspect it will, in which case the control board will have to be replaced. The board is not repairable as it is encased in some sort of resin. Those boards go for about $100. I'm tempted to replace the whole trolling motor but that would probably still leave me with a similarly inconsistent foot pedal. I've asked around at the lake I frequent and most guys seem to have similar problems. The consensus seems to be that Minn Kota is better than Motor Guide but who knows. If it turns out the motor is bad then I will replace the whole trolling motor.

Attachments

• photo261291.jpg
    photo261291.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Here is what I found:
I have 12vdc from the battery to control board. When I jumper that power to the main motor it runs normally. The motor also turns , in both directions without a hiccup. That means the control board is bad which means I'll have to replace it . Why it went south remains a mystery. I'll report back once the repair is complete.
Jcris

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well you trouble-shot your problem and isolated it to the control board. Good job! And the fact that you stated you can hear relays clicking in means they are problem. And it sounds like burnt contacts with those relays. So sounds like it is time for a replacement. How old is the trolling motor and when did it start to give you problems? If that time was years, I would replace the board and boat on. If it were months, then I would replace the entire trolling motor with another. But that is just me. Sounds like the little switches control the relay coil voltages to work the high current to the turning motor. Just an idea...not totally sure though. JMHO

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
The new board is installed and now the TM is working correctly. I did business with Northland Marine. I called them and a real live knowledgeable person answered the phone. I was shocked. Their pricing seems competitive and on some things a real deal. So now that my TM is fixed I'm on to re-wiring the supply circuit to the dash..... and so it goes.
Happy boating all,
Jcris

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The new board is installed and now the TM is working correctly. I did business with Northland Marine. I called them and a real live knowledgeable person answered the phone. I was shocked. Their pricing seems competitive and on some things a real deal. So now that my TM is fixed I'm on to re-wiring the supply circuit to the dash..... and so it goes.
Happy boating all,
Jcris

Well glad your TM is now working again. Good news is always welcomed on these forums. :thumb: