trolling motor magnets

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
very old motorguide 12 24 making a strange noise and when I open it up 2 magnets came out,,,, 2 stayed in..... is this thing a 2 pole or a 4 pole motor..I'm going to epoxy them back in but not sure after a closer look..... I thought magnets were N -S-N-S....... but the 2 magnets that are still attached are n and s...........but also only 2 gaps are in the motor between the magnets not 4 gaps.....hope this makes since

Attachments

• 20170322_174408 trolling motor magnets.jpg
    20170322_174408 trolling motor magnets.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hard to say not seeing the magnets or the inside of the motor case. If the magnets are not broken, can you place them in their original position from looking at how they were attached. Some times the glue they used allow you to reposition them to fit like they were originally. That would show you how they are to go back in. JMHO

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks for the response..... I found my answer doing a web search of 2 pole and 4 pole motors.....while mine does have 4 magnets it only has 2 brushes making it a 2 pole motor.... I used another magnet to help me figure out were to put each magnet..... I tired looking at the old glue and could not be 100% sure.... I just glued it 20 min. ago. going to let it set over night before putting it back together

gm280

Supreme Mariner
thanks for the response..... I found my answer doing a web search of 2 pole and 4 pole motors.....while mine does have 4 magnets it only has 2 brushes making it a 2 pole motor.... I used another magnet to help me figure out were to put each magnet..... I tired looking at the old glue and could not be 100% sure.... I just glued it 20 min. ago. going to let it set over night before putting it back together

I had a magnet come loose on my Kohler lawn mower engine for the alternator. I used JB Weld to reattach it. What type glue did you use?

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm using instant set 5 min. epoxy .... 3200psi..... held it in place with vise grips,,,very lite pressure

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
got it back together fri. evening and runs like new not bad for a 1989 trolling motor.. taking it out sunday..... I learned so many tricks I'm sure I can put 1 together now in less than a hour....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
got it back together fri. evening and runs like new not bad for a 1989 trolling motor.. taking it out sunday..... I learned so many tricks I'm sure I can put 1 together now in less than a hour....

Congratulations, it really isn't difficult working with trolling motors once you understand how they work. Happy boating.