add a battery ,ignition problem

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
so i decide to get blue sea add a battery install it and everything works but have one problem ,when i turn switch from add a battery on,all my gauges and switch lights come on and stay on everything works great but the ignition should turn everything on not the switch ,some how the add a battery is controlling my dash lights and gauges oil , fuel and amp are working without key in ignition and turned on also i left original switches and fuses in place could be problem do not know anybody no how to solve ,i know hard question to answer drawing attached also engine and everything works

Attachments

• photo261050.jpg
    photo261050.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
where does red wire go?... the red wire next to arrow is from engine harness and runs from plug on motor to new blue sea st blade fuse panel has 6 neg connections and 12 positive connections that red wire is original wire that went directly to fuses for switches what is this? this is a blue sea power post plus that is my negative or ground wire connection battery grounds should be tied together? not sure what your asking should both batteries' (starter and house)negatives post have cable to each of them

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, both negatives of the batteries should be grounded together. They can be connected to each other OR connected at the engine block.

The red wire coming from the engine plug should actually be the same one showing going to the fuse panel. Just think you have one to many red lines.

If everything was working correctly before then you probably have the battery switch wired wrong
ACR-combined.png

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, what are all the loads that your house battery is feeding and what loads are your starter battery feeding? The house loads are not feeding anything engine related right?

What loads are on that fuse panel at the bottom of the diagram?

You batteries need to be grounded to each other through a very good ground.

There is another fuse panel somewhere right?

Last edited:

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
blower,bilge1 , nav/anchor light,horn, wipers ,radio cabin light ,led overhead light all on house battery starter batt is direct to starter and neg on engine block everything works ,but can't figure out why all gauges and there lights come on when i turn blue sea add a battery ,battery switch on where before i would turn my perko battery switch on ,then put key in ignition and turn to on position and all my lights and gauges would come on sorry i can not explain better the only fuse panel is blue sea st blade fuse panel in diagram which is new replaced some old school (rigged) fuses and ground ,i am thinking it maybe wiring of ignition switch, should my red wire in engine harness which is my starter wire that right now goes to fuse panel positive ,originally ran to my fuses under my switches original equipment or should i hookup another pos fuse panel and run red engine wire to that seperately with gauges hooked to that would that seperate my house loads from my engine loads i am just confusing myself LOL all i keep sayin is KISS( keep it simple stupid)

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
where does red wire go?... the red wire next to arrow is from engine harness and runs from plug on motor to new blue sea st blade fuse panel has 6 neg connections and 12 positive connections that red wire is original wire that went directly to fuses for switches
Are you sure that didn't connect to the ignition switch directly, rather than just to a fuse?

what is this? this is a blue sea power post plus that is my negative or ground wire connection
It's probably confusing because on your diagram you've labelled it with [+]

battery grounds should be tied together? not sure what your asking should both batteries' (starter and house)negatives post have cable to each of them
Both batteries should probably be tied to the engine ground, and then run a cable from the engine ground to your BlueSea power post ground connection. One way or another, all three of those places should be tied together with a good ga wire.

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry for power post plus i used + as symbol for plus = power post +,Will tie grounds together, First question, original wiring is red engine harness wire from engine to all switches and ignition switch (key) fuses all switches have seperate tube fuses underneath them

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

couple pics of my switches and original fuse

Attachments

• photo261084.jpg
    photo261084.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261085.jpg
    photo261085.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
i am thinking it maybe wiring of ignition switch, should my red wire in engine harness which is my starter wire that right now goes to fuse panel positive ,originally ran to my fuses under my switches original equipment or should i hookup another pos fuse panel and run red engine wire to that seperately with gauges hooked to that would that seperate my house loads from my engine loads
You need a seperate fuse panel for engine related loads. From this new fuse panel, have a fuse dedicated to ignition and run that wire to the input of your ignition switch. The output of the ignition switch, when you have it in the run position, should then go to the ignition switch and gauges.

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
thank you will make corrections bruceb58 and always thanks alldodge and km 1125

alldodge

Staff member
why all gauges and there lights come on when i turn blue sea add a battery ,battery switch on where before i would turn my perko battery switch on

This makes me think you have TWO battery switches installed, one Perko and one Blue Sea.

So when you turn this switch to ON, everything is turned on, correct

switch2.jpg

If this is the case then I'm guessing your feeding your key switch on the Purple wire and not the Red or Red/Purple

alldodge

Staff member
Well, would sure like to hear that from the OP, just in case

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
all dodge I took out a perko with single battery,and replaced with with blue sea mini add a battery dual circuit plus and m-acr auto charging relay will take pics maybe that would be easier

alldodge

Staff member
Pics might help with the may you wired it, but I know how it should be wired, there is just something that is being missed. Trying to figure it out

wrench 3

Commander
You need a seperate fuse panel for engine related loads. From this new fuse panel, have a fuse dedicated to ignition and run that wire to the input of your ignition switch. The output of the ignition switch, when you have it in the run position, should then go to the ignition switch and gauges.

The engine related loads should be connected to the red wire from the original engine harness and that wire should be isolated from the feed from the Blue Sea. Engine loads should be a minimum of ignition switch and bilge blower.

What cables are connected to what terminals on the Blue Sea battery switch?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The engine related loads should be connected to the red wire from the original engine harness and that wire should be isolated from the feed from the Blue Sea. Engine loads should be a minimum of ignition switch and bilge blower.

What cables are connected to what terminals on the Blue Sea battery switch?
Agreed...the original feed should go to a seperate fuse panel with the ignition and blower.