Shore Power / Electrical Question Sea Ray Sundancer 268

dpostman21

Seaman
I am new to this style boat (only smaller fishing boats in the past) I have a few questions regarding the electrical on my 1987 Sea Ray Sundancer 268.
  1. Boat has a C-Charger 20-amp 2000 Series ? I assume this is for charging the batteries while on shore power?
  2. Are these 30-amp Shore Power? All I have at the boat slip is a 20-amp breaker and what looks like a 20-amp straight blade electrical outlet.
  3. Boat has a small fridge, water heaster, & 2 burner stove top, does this only run on shore power?

jharvey1984

Seaman Apprentice
Not too sure about your particular boat but I have two 30 amp twist lock shore power inlets. Each one powers one "bus" of my AC panel with the ability to cross tie the buses if only one 30 amp service is available.

1. My boat has a charger like this as well and is used to charge starting and house batteries either on shore power or while using the gen set
2. I would imagine they are 30 amp (most smaller boats are). Some larger boats are 50 amp. If all you have is a 15 amp "household" service at your marina, you can buy adapters but you would need to limit your usage to 15 amps. Shouldnt be a problem if you dont have A/C, etc. This is what I use when we stay over at my buddies dock with only household outlets:

http://www.iboats.com/Straight-Adap...501820--session_id.486653695--view_id.1099226

3. Most marine fridges can run on AC or DC. You should have a distribution panel that will have an AC side and a DC side. Should see a breaker for the fridge on both sides. Water heater and stove are probably AC only. Your water heater will probably heat water using engine heat too (as mine does).

wrench 3

Commander
I have the same size boat. If I'm only plugged onto 15 amps it will run the fridge, water heater, the battery charger and other small items no problem. But to ran the stove, electric kettle or toaster I temporarily turn off the water heater.
With that year of a boat, The stove may run on alcohol if you don't have shore power.

dpostman21

Seaman
That's perfect, I was hoping at a minimum I could run the charger and the fridge!!