Trolling motor goes wild on fast speed

Elkmontbrown

Cadet
I have a 70lb trust motor guide when it is turned on high the motor wobbles out of control. Cannot control with foot control have to turn speed down to regain control.. Is there any fix for this.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the prop in good shape? Any play in the prop shaft? Is the motor firmly mounted and the shaft is tight in the mount?

Elkmontbrown

Cadet
Yes all looks and feels good prop looks good .. have not took it off to check the shear pin to see if it is bent

Alumarine

Captain
If that doesn't work try it without the prop to see if the problem goes away.

Does it shake out of the water?

fishrdan

Admiral
When you have the prop off, turn the motor on dead slow and check the prop shaft for runout.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could be anything from a bent prop shaft to a bearing that has failed. Either condition can allow water intrusion in the actual motor housing and cause serious damage. I would follow the great suggestions given above and locate the problem before the motor and housing are too far gone. JMHO

Elkmontbrown

Cadet
It just happens when speed is over 3/4 the torque at this speed causes motor direction to be uncontrolable . Someone said adjust tension . Where and how do you do that?

Elkmontbrown

Cadet
Have hunted all over the foot pedal and even under top for some way to tighten up foot control cable as of today 3/31/2017 have not found any thing. Or any to increase resistance on cable

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Have hunted all over the foot pedal and even under top for some way to tighten up foot control cable as of today 3/31/2017 have not found any thing. Or any to increase resistance on cable

You really need to take a video and post it here. That way we all can see what you are dealing with. I say that because, I can't think of any reason for your Trolling Motor to be doing that...other then something bent! JMHO :noidea: