First trolling motor

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As the title says I'm looking to buy my first trolling motor. I'm just not sure how big of one I really need. The boat is a 1969 Crestliner 16 foot aluminum V-hull. I'd like to stay with a 12volt and of course there is always a budget involved, I simply can't have unlimited funds.i have been looking at 2 different Minkotas at Walmart, one has 30lbs of thrust and the other has I believe 40lbs.....$100 and $150 respectively.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
While motors that small will move the boat, as soon as the current or wind picks up they will struggle, so it depends on where and how you plan to use it. A 50# would normally be the smallest you'd want to go with.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What "ondarvr" stated above is true. However it really depends on what you will use the trolling motor for. I used an old Motor Guide III (new at the time) on a bass boat for years and it did everything I needed without an issues. Of course I usually trolled the banks and points fishing and not so much trolling open water as some enjoy doing. But that little Motor Guide III was probably only about 30 pounds peak. So it really depends on the type trolling you are needing it for. JMHO

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stick to the smaller lakes normally but a couple times a year I end up on one of the bigger lakes in the state( lake winnibigodhish ). Besides doing some actual trolling I'll probably use it to change spots looking for the fish.

fishrdan

Admiral
They may be more expensive, but look into "digital" trolling motors, which use PWM technology to make the battery last longer. At slow speeds they will use less power, at very slow speeds they will use far less power, but realistically expect to got twice as far or the battery to last twice as long before needing recharging. At full speed the digital and cheap old school speed coil TM's will use the same power, and go the same distance.

For how much thrust, you could get away with 45#, but I would opt for 50-55, especially if the boat is heavily loaded. If I had to make the choice of a 45# Endura MAX digital TM or a 55# Endura C2 speed coil which are around the same price, I'd buy the 45# digital.

You are going to need battery(s) too, and with a speed coil TM expect about 3+- hours of run time out of a group 29 battery, double that run time for a digital TM. Buying a digital TM could save you from needing to buy a second battery.....

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after reading all of the great advice I think I've come to a decision. For a heck a lot less money I think I'll just make use of grandpas old 6hp Evinrude and buy one of the transom mounting plate things. Electric would be nice but for what it sounds like it's going to cost me this will be much cheaper.

Thank you

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I now have a kicker mount for the old 6hp.
Any ideas on how to make this a easily removable? I'm not really going to want it on there all the time and would like to be able to remove the motor and the kicker mount without leaving big holes wide open in the transom of course.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are large ones for gas motors, I just saw one on here, or maybe an advertisement someplace else, but I saw a pic, I don't remember the brand though.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is the I bought, I just need to figure out how to make it removable.

Attachments

• photo261359.PNG
    photo261359.PNG
    824.5 KB · Views: 0