Fuel gauge wiring

xagneovox

Seaman Apprentice
  • Hello,

I'm currently installing a fuel gauge on my fuel tank and I'm having some problems.

There are 3 connections on my gauge.

1) "i" -> for this one is use the same one from my tacho
    2) GND -> this one I connect to my - from my battery
    3) S (sender) this one I connect to my fuel sending unit and a ground wire from my unit to a ground from my battery

When I activate my ignition the gauge jumps over the max and stays there until I deactivate my ignition.

Probably it's a fault in the wiring, how should I correctly attach my wires?

Regards,

Jasper

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Could be a mismatch between sender and gage...

As I understand it:
US standard sender and gage is 240 ohm empty, 33 ohm full
European standard is 0 ohm empty, 180 ohm full (diff range, and reversed)

Do you think your tank is FULL or EMPTY? If empty (or very, very low), you may have a US sender and a Euro gage.

xagneovox

Seaman Apprentice
I removed the fuel sender and if I manually move the sender it doesn't affect the gauge, both the gauge and sender are from evinrude

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I removed the fuel sender and if I manually move the sender it doesn't affect the gauge, both the gauge and sender are from evinrude

I assume you did this with the sender and gage hooked up and key in "run" or "on"? And does "no effect" mean gage always stayed pegged at or beyond full?

Sounds like maybe a bad sender that is sending 0 resistance at all times. Do you have an ohmmeter (multimeter) to check the sender directly?

xagneovox

Seaman Apprentice
It's ok, thanks for the fast reply's, it was a bad connection on the gauge