Digital dash conversion?

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
I'd like replace my old analog gauge package on my boat with an electronic/digital panel setup. The engine is a 1994 4.3, so no FI. Is there a kit or aftermarket package someone offers to convert the old analog setup to digital? I'm assuming I'd need all new sending units, or some way to interpret the analog sending units to work with a digital setup.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think the gauges actually do all the conversions for any digital gauge setup. The same signal should display the digital equivalence after it gets converted in the gauge. Kind of like a DVM, the voltage it reads is analog, but the meter converts the analog to a digital readout. But you would only know that for sure after buying the meters/gauges. If they state a certain sensor, then buy them. But wait before replacing them to see what the gauge manufacture states in the instructions. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
other than blowing a ton of money on gauges with digital readout, what is the purpose? they are not any more accurate as your motor isnt J1939 (No fuel injection), and even then the instrument data is coming from the same low dollar gauge sender

you can go with a GPS speedometer vs the pitot tube speedometer, however you will need the J1939 sensor input module since you do not have the J1939 backbone.

companies like dakota digital, Murphy, VDO, COBO, Faria/Beede and a few others offer digital panels. not sure if they are all sunlight readable.

most likely they would use the same senders as the resistance ranges are standardized to a few different ranges, with the 240-33 ohm range being the most popular.