How to test a trolling motor?

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally got my boat in the water, and mechanically it is great!

now I can focus on the smaller accessories, which include this trolling motor.

Currently, it doesn't do anything. I don't know much about this system, but I know automotive mechanics. If someone has a basic wiring diagram, that would be great!

Or any info to see if trolling motor is junk or if I'm looking for a wiring issue.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Connect it directly to a known good and fully charged battery and turn it on. If it doesn't work it's a bad motor. What's bad about it requires more trouble shooting. But since you didn't give us a clue as to the brand, make, voltage, bow mount/stern mount etc., that's about as far as we can go with help. Wiring in the boat is generally the main issue but a simple voltage check at the trolling motor connector tells you it's either good or bad. That can all be eliminated by connecting the motor directly to a battery. Lastly, disassemble the head and connect the battery directly to the wires going down the shaft to the motor.

Last edited:

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You're right, I should have given more information.

I'll try it with a good battery.

Generally speaking though, is there any safety switch on it? Where it has to be vertical or something?

Just to make sure I'm not just trying it in a disabled position.

I'll get more information in a bit.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... It would no doubt help to know the make, 'n model of what yer workin' on,....

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,... It would no doubt help to know the make, 'n model of what yer workin' on,....

I'll see what information I can gather.I'll bring pics... I just bought the boat mid January. Seller didn't have much information on it. It was a used car dealer but it was his brother or cousin's boat...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
To determine if a tilt switch is the issue,. put the motor in the down position and try it (again with the motor connected directly to a known good and fully charged battery). If it still doesn't run then there is no tilt/safety switch. Some motors have one and some don't. In the picture I see two crimp connections on the motor wires. Examine those and redo them if they look suspicious. Remove the head cover and check for power at the motor. Is this is a foot controlled or a tiller controlled motor. If it is a foot controlled unit, then follow power through the foot control. There should be a MOM-CONT (momentary/continuous) switch on the foot control. With the switch set to CONT the motor should run continuously at whatever speed is selected. In the MOM position you need to step on the "go button" to make the motor run. You need to "try stuff" as you are not providing much for us to go on.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok. I'm sorry for the lack of information. I don't know anything about trolling motors.

There is a foot button for it.

Haven't had time to test anything yet.

But it seems like a simple system.

I guess that's what I was asking originally, was just basically if there are safety switches or certain requirements for it to operate, which does not appear so.

Just seems to be check if good power is making it to the motor.

After I know that just keep trying stuff...

Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Since you are not familiar with trolling motors, why not download the user manual from Minnkota. That would answer your "How do I operate this thing" question. Failing that, put the motor down, make sure the battery (two of them if this a 24 volt motor) are charged, make sure the motor is connected, set the MOM/CONT switch on the foot pedal to MOM (momentary) and press the "go button". The motor should run at whatever speed is selected. If not, you then need to follow the juice from the battery, to the point where the motor is connected (usually a receptacle at the bow), through the plug, through the wires to the foot pedal, up the wires to the head unit, and down the shaft. If you have power at the head unit but the motor doesn't run, then the motor housing needs to be opened to see what's wrong. That's the best I can do for you lacking any other information. If you intend to troubleshoot this thing yourself you need a vom (volt/ohm/milliamp) meter and you need to learn how to use it. That tool is essential for any electrical work. Cheap units (about $12 - $15) are available in the electrical dept of most home improvement stores.