Battery question(s)

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
In my 1998 Wellcraft 240SE. It's got a 5.7, pretty minor electronics, no genny, on-board charger, shore-power.
There are 2 batteries. One fairly new Interstate cranking flooded-cell, one older "marine multi-purpose". I will be replacing the older battery and keeping the Interstate. Should I get a deep-cell, or other type, of batteray to replace the old one?

Attachments

• photo252536.jpg
    photo252536.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Nope,... No reason for a deep cell, as it sounds like all the batteries do is start the motor,...

wrench 3

Commander
If you're running an electric fridge and plan on being away from a wall plug for any length of time I'd put in a deep cycle.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input. I do have an electric fridge, and am often away from shore power for a day or two. However, at this time the fridge will only operate when on shore power - is that fridge then shot, or is that repairable?

If I'm not running the fridge on battery, only stereo, lights, etc, should I get a second cranking, or deep cycle battery?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to be running the fridge on battery power, make sure you get a true deep cycle battery. The marine batteries they sell at Costco that they call deep cycle are actually a hybrid battery.

wrench 3

Commander
Start with the basics on the fridge. Make sure that you have 12V and a good ground getting to it. If it's turned on and there is no 110V it should automatically switch to 12V. Provided that no one has replaced it with a Walmart fridge.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Look at RV repair sights for troubleshooting advice on the fridge, I had one in an RV once that was very easy (and inexpensive) to repair.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input on the batteries. I thought the Interstate was a "typical" cranking battery, but it is labeled "Deep Cycle Marine/RV SRM-24, 550 CCA, 690 MCA, reserve capacity140 (it purchased in last 2 or 3 years). I think I should keep that one, and buy 1 new one. Any recommendations on that idea, and what/from where I should get a 2nd battery?
Interstate battery.JPG

Thanks also for the input on the fridge. When I get the boat out of storage, I'll check for 12v going to it, good ground, and look at the RV sites.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input on the batteries. I thought the Interstate was a "typical" cranking battery, but it is labeled "Deep Cycle Marine/RV SRM-24, 550 CCA, 690 MCA, reserve capacity140 (it purchased in last 2 or 3 years). I think I should keep that one, and buy 1 new one. Any recommendations on that idea, and what/from where I should get a 2nd battery?

Thanks also for the input on the fridge. When I get the boat out of storage, I'll check for 12v going to it, good ground, and look at the RV sites.

wrench 3

Commander
The RV site may not help much with the fridge. Most RV fridges run on heat so that they can use propane as one of the energy sources. (I never have managed to get a handle on how they get cold from heat) The marine fridges run on a motor and compressor like a house fridge. They use a lot less electricity that way.
Personally I don't believe that you can beat an Interstate battery. If you have room, an SRM-27 is a little bigger and will give you more reserve capacity. If you get the fridge working, the SRM-27 will run everything for ruffly a day.

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks wrench. So you recommend I keep the SRM-24 (the one I have), and add a SRM-27?

wrench 3

Commander
If the 24 is in good condition you might as well get some more use out of it. But if your adding a battery you can upgrade on that one.
In other words, yes. But if you want to stay out for more than a day at a time you would need to add more or bigger batteries.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
The Interstate SRM-24 is in good condituion, and I plan to use that as part of a 2 battery system. So I'm looking for recommendations on what type battery I should add

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That interstate is not a true deep discharge battery. It is a hybrid battery. If you want a true flooded acid deep discharge battery, buy a Trojan.

When a battery has a CCA or MCA spec, that's your clue that it is a hybrid battery.

wrench 3

Commander
Yes, the SRM is a dual purpose battery but it never hurts to have a back up for starting.