First electronics purchase/install

jharvey1984

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice/pointers.

I purchased a 2003 cruisers 3275 express last year. It came with virtually no electronics other than depth sounder and stereo. We boat on lakes/rivers and for all intents and purposes use this boat for cruising only (no fishing). I have been researching electronics for a while and finally pulled the trigger on my setup. Here is what I went with:

GPSMap 942xs
Fox Marine MEFI-4 to NMEA2k gateways (x2)
Standard Horizon GX1600
Shakespeare 5101 Classic 8ft 6db antenna
Shakespeare 4187 HD ratchet mount
Flush mount kits/clamshells/various hardware
NMEA starter kit (garmin) - comes with tee and drop for plotter as well as tee and drop for power
Two garmin NMEA2k tees (for gateways)
Two garmin NMEA2k drops (for gateways)

Looking for anything that I might add to this setup that would add to the experience at a minimal cost (good values). Would a transducer do me any good if I don't plan on using this for fishing? Any value in having sonar above the already installed depth sounder for cruising purposes? Which (transom mount) transducer would be recommended for this setup and my intended use?

Also this is my first electronics install. Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly handy and think I have all the necessary tools for this job. Here is what I have considered thus far:
  • I will wire the VHF to the GPS via the 0183 protocol so that my DSC functions correctly. My understanding is that this can be done with the "power" pigtail provided with the garmin head unit (no additional cables etc. required)
  • I plan to power all of this equipment (including the NMEA 2k network) via the existing switch for the existing sounder.
  • Will tape over the helm areas before the cuts are made
  • Will countersink thru the gel coat before inserting screws
  • will seal screws with 5200
  • will seal clamshells with 5200
  • already checked compass clearances and they are good