Raymarine is coming out with AXIOM, almost wasted money on their old technology!

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Raymarine is finally coming out with AXIOM (3D sonar) with only 1 transducer, and I almost wasted money on their old technology!
So, I have been looking for a side imaging fishfinder. I had my eyes on a chirp side imaging fishfinder by Raymarine. I heard it could mark fish 60 feet away in 2.5 feet of water with their side scan sonar CPT-200 and module CP200. The hesitation was I needed another downvision sonar CPT-100. 2 transducer for the boat?
They finally combined 2 chirp sonars into 1 that can view fish and structure in 3D.

Posting it to help others who are looking for side imaging fishfinder in 2017 and also looking for experience with other 3D sonar. I know Lowrance has 3D sonar as well, so looking for advice here. Not sure who else has it?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just saw the Axiom demonstrated at the Duluth boat show, Very interesting unit. Taunting me......

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Garmin is way ahead of Raymarine and Lowarnce in these new technologies.

Garmin Panoptix is the next generation..... not cheap....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtEb-6TLLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cthw7ifTxgg

I did watch both GARMIN's videos before your post, and they never register.Why? The first video looks like cartoon animation - fake video. Show me somebody use it to locate fish or structure on water instead of animation or simulation.

The second video was more talk than real actions and in simulation mode.

Too many youtube videos show people on land and talk about their sonars instead of demonstrating the sonars on water.

I will look into this technology more. Thanks for the info.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Raymarine 3D including 7" display and RV100 transducer is about $1,300 compared to Garmin Panoptix ($999 just the transducer) whole system with 7" display?

Lowarance 3D $1K transducer and module only, no display.

3D sonars are expensive - maybe have to wait until they cool off a bit - LOL

alldodge

Staff member
I would really like to find something that would show me a true pic/image of the bottom. Not looking for fish, looking for lost anchors and other things

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
3D sonar does it - I know we all lost something in the lake (I lost 2 rods, 1 anchor, and 1 cast net) - LOL I would love to use these new sonars to find them and get them back again. I haven't seen any youtube video for this kind of things yet

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Raymarine 3D including 7" display and RV100 transducer is about $1,300 compared to Garmin Panoptix ($999 just the transducer) whole system with 7" display?

Lowarance 3D $1K transducer and module only, no display.

3D sonars are expensive - maybe have to wait until they cool off a bit - LOL

Money isn't an issue...

I'm an big water fisherman. Inshore and offshore jigging and trolling primarily. Depths range from 20 to over 1000 ft.

Mainly interested in the top 50 ft. of the water column. I have no real interest or need for the 3D stuff. I have 3D bathymetric charts on my chart plotter if needed.

As a troller, my primary need is to monitor the water column under and round the boat. I much prefer real time, high resolution color sonar data over the blurry, low resolution monochrome pictures of what was.....the reason is see value in Panoptix Live Vu Forward and Front Vu data. The ability to watch how my trolling spread performs in real time is a big plus to me

Side View has some value (looking for bait pods) but without heave compensation, usage is limited to "smooth" water days which are few and far in my local waters.

Clear Vu (Down View) helps verify unknown returns on conventional sonar but suffers from low resolution and the same "smooth water" performance issues

Currently looking at a Garmin EchoMap 94SV with a GT51M which gives me side and clear view with mid range 80-160 CHIRP. I could then swap out my existing thru hull transducer for a B175H which would give me high range 130-210 CHIRP as well.

Boy I wish Garmin made stand alone Sounders.......