Testing the voltage gauge

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting my boat ready for the season! I'm In Texas......

Getting the warning buzzer and noticed the gauge is not displaying right amount of voltage.......
I know alt. Is putting out 13 because I tested it.
But I don't know how to test the gauge....

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Not knowing what model engine you have I'll say; The warning buzzer can be caused by low drive lube, low oil pressure, over heat or something grounding out the sender wire.

The voltage gauge reads power off the purple wire from the ignition switch. Take a hand held meter and read off any purple wire behind the helm

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea. Seen some YouTube videos on how to check it
Looks like it's bad, but also wondering if that would trigger the warning buzzer?
I just did a carb rebuild. Don't think I screwed anything up.all other gauges are working just fine.

It's a Volvo penta 4.3 it's a Carville 2005

alldodge

Staff member
Is it EFI, MPI or carb?

If it's a non-carb model (EFI, MPI) and the voltage is going high it can throw codes and cause issues.

You are saying that when the motor is running the buzzer continues to sound off?

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure if the gauge is what triggers the buzzer....gauge is def, bad....

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see a gauge causing the alarm (buzzer) to go off, but a gauge could buzz it self

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Disconnect one side of the gauge. If the buzzer stops, you have a place to start looking.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea. T was getting late last nite.....pulled the gauge. Bench tested it.......but I was wondering if the buzzer is connected to gauge or is the gauge a tripping source to sound the buzzer....