fish finder advice

kdross

Recruit
looking to get a new FF, will keep my current elite 5 for navigation. keep flipping between Simrad go 7 and Furuno fcv588. Simrad has chirp and Furuno resboost. At the end of the day Furuno/transducer and Simrad w/chirp transducer almost are same price (thru hull). I do basically inshore, under 125' of salt water. boat is 18' aquasport. looking for experiences/Recommendations with each.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Neither units are "real" CHIRP. Just processing secondary emmissions (frequencies) off a standard transducer. Better than conventional sonar but not the real thing.

I would go with the 588 technology everyday and twice on Tuesdays. For a boat your size I would look at the 628 as well. Whatever you do, dont skimp on the transducer.

BustedKnuckles

Recruit
The Simrad also brings Side and Down Scan to the equation when paired with the TotalScan transducer which is something that the Furuno is lacking.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The Simrad also brings Side and Down Scan to the equation when paired with the TotalScan transducer which is something that the Furuno is lacking.
Simrad side scan heave compensated? If so, what are they using for an input device?