Alternator Field Disconnect Switch Installation on 90 hp Mercury

garyinsc

Recruit
I recently purchased a new to me used boat. have installed a Blue Sea Model 9002e battery disconnect switch on my 2002 Mercury 90hp outboard. The wiring from stator to voltage regulator consists of two red, two yellow and one black. I have the Seloc repair manual and the wiring diagram matches what is in place. I understand the black, gray and somewhat the red. The Blue Sea installation instructions tell me to intercept the wire from alternator/stator to regulator and connect one end to terminal F1 and the other to F2. I am pretty sure I need to intercept one of the two yellow wires but I am making an assumption that it is one of the yellow wires and not sure which one. So my first question, which wire running from stator to regulator do I intercept to connect the AFD. My second question, the two red wires both terminate at the same point on the starter solenoid but at different points on the regulator. What is their function? I am well versed in AC electrical but not DC. I am new to boating and am one of those weird people that enjoy knowing how things work. I want to thank all the people that have taken their time to answer the questions posed and hope that I can be of help to others sometime in the future.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My suggestion....don't bother with an alternator field disconnect. Just don't turn the switch to OFF with the engine running and you will be fine.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Gary.

As Bruce said, don't bother with the field disconnect. While the charging system is really an alternator in that the stator produces AC voltage which is rectified and regulated, it has no built-in provision for field control. If you did come up with a way to shut the AC off into the regulator, I fear more problems would be introduced and isn't worth it. So just make the switch with the motor off.

garyinsc

Recruit
Thanks Bruce and GA , that will sure save me some time. I think that since it is an AC circuit that a break in either wire will prevent the regulator from trying to output to no load. A little expensive if wrong for trial and error approach.